G&L L-1000 thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Oct 13, 2002.

1. So what do you guys think of the G&L L-1000?
    This is for those of you who have had a chance to play one.

Is it an unglorified Stingray, or P-bass?
    Can you describe the tones, craftsmanship, and best suited styles(playing styles and music styles) that this bass is best suited for?
    Any favorite colors, or wood combinations?
    Any weird experiences with this bass?

I should have one in about a week and will post my experience and progress with this bass for all of you to read.:)
  2. beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    I've got a L1500. Same thing as L1000 but pick up in the stingray sweet spot. Mine kinda sounds like a stinray but not really due to the different wood and MF pickups and different pre-amp. I've found that I'v been able to get every style out of it. It's a great bass and you should be happy with it.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I once had a chance to get an L1000 for about 400 bucks. When I got the money together it was gone.

I'm still disappointed it felt and sounded great.
  4. They are supposed to be a pretty cool bass. Very Underated, and very cheap! $400 would've been a good deal. Some people are saying you can get the stingray sound out of them, others say p-bass on steroids. Maybe it's like a p-bass thump with a stingray growl? I'll hopfully let you know what I think in a couple of days.

Do they have a nice growl, what's it like?
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to have one, and that is pretty much how I would describe it. It had a P-bass sound, but with a lot of growl (maybe not stingray growl, though). It was a great bass, and I regret selling it.
  6. My L-1000 is on it's way from N.Y. and is somewhere in Minesota right now.

I can feel it's vibe coming closer!:cool:
  7. dahandz

dahandz Guest

Oct 15, 2002

If you want to talk G&L basses, contact Bob Hynosky at basspalace.com! This guy has herds of em'! dahandz
  8. rwagne2

Aug 2, 2001
    I have an L-1000, made in 1984. It is a fretless, and plays beautifully - the action is literally perfect, very smooth and silky action with either TI flats or sunbeams. I recently did the epoxy fretboard coating, so that I could use the rounds. All I've got to say is that chords are incredibly clear and 'zingy.' It can definately run the gamut from old-school to modern sounds. The only thing you can't get is that jaco-esqe sound, but I think that kind of thing requires a bridge-pickup.

My G&L is better than any stingray I've played in the shops, hands down. The neck is simply to die for.
  9. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    My L-1000 has been my main playing bass for a while. It's one of the best basses I've owned. It beats out my old '64 Precision by a nose. It's a bit heavy, but the sound is great, and the neck is very comfortable. I was impressed with them when they first came out, and it took me 20 years to follow through on getting one.
  10. Oh Wooooowwwweeeeee!!!!

I just got it out of the package today, and this bass is amazing!!!

I am soooo much more happy with this bass than I thought I would be.

I can't believe I stopped playing to post.

Wicked thump, and wicked growl, like what I was told. Only I had no Idea how wicked. Absolutly I'm amazed. I think I found a new main bass.

This bass has a maple fretbaord, and I've never played one I liked until now. It's very fast, faster than any rosewood.

Very very cool tones out of this sucker to, I still have to go throught them all, but still very plug and play!

Amazingly Hot pickups!!!

I gotta go keep playing, I'll post later.

:D :D :cool: :D :D
  11. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Your Welcome!
    I hope you gradually brought the bass back to pitch.As always I detuned it(but not alot!) before shipping.
    Did you put new strings on it?The ones on it are at least 7-8 years old.Try some nice DRs or whatever you like.I bet it plays even better after about a another week or so when the neck "settles in" after shipping.
    I knew Bob Hynosky "back in the day" when Dan Lakin(as in Lakland) had nothing but a one page mailing list of used basses, that he sent bulk mail.
    Your L-1000 is more articulate than the later Hex pole piece pick ups.
    Hope your enjoying it.Sounds like you are.
    It will definetly be your main bass,its does an excellent job in all Genres.
    I always preferred the 1000 to the 2000,because the pre-amps in the 2000s were noisy and hissed with treble.Shielding tape helped this.
    Also the passivity of the L-1000 allows for use of a pre-amp of your choice.
    Plus,with no pre-amp,you can crank your amp further without being too loud,allowing your amp to "cook".
    How much was the tax/duty you had to pay?
    You should hear my Prototype!
  12. Hey Mr. Gump.

Ya, I think this probably is going to be my main bass. I noticed right away how well it sounded, and played. I tuned it up with the old strings first, and then put some newer ones on, and noticed that even with the old strings it still sounded good. I've since then played the newer d'addario strings dead, and need to start experimenting for the strings of choice on this bass. These dead strings still sound good on her though. I am actually very impressed with this bass, more than I thought I would be. I only bought it because I had this weird hunch sort of thing, and GAS. I am very very happy, even though I know I payed more than it's market value. This truely is an amazing bass!

Oh ya! Mr. Gump, I thought I would also let you know It's not half as ugly as I thought it would be (those pictures you sent didn't do it justice.) it actually looks really good. I new it was going to be a good bass.

I thought I might add that the 3 bolt pattern on the neck seemes as, if not more, stable than a really good fender 4-bolt neck.

The Hum I've heard people complain about musn't be with the L-1000, because the series/single coil setting doesn't creat nearly as much hum as other basses with that type of pickup.

Duty/taxes came to about $140 Canadian (roughly $85-90 U.S.) Did you let them know it was a used instrument, because that may have saved me 7% in pst (taxes)? I think I'm going to inquire about the charges! But this is Canada (We pay allot of taxes, but we have health care and wellfare to make us feel good about it(Nothing like supporting the drug addicts and lazy people:rolleyes: :D ))

I also had to turn the gain on my amp way down, because as soon as I pluged in, the pre-amp was overdriving really hard.

Mr. Gump could you send me any history, or unknown facts about this bass? Like what you said about the articulate pickup. I think I might have read that somewhere.

13. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    G&L's were designed to overdrive from the pots when wide open. Rather than adjust your amp, I'd suggest backing off the volume on the bass. This is the only bass I've ever owned where I've worked the knobs. It actually took me a couple days to really get the sound I wanted out of my L-1000. You might find an even better sound by putting the amp back where it was, and finding the hot spot on your volume knob.
  14. i own an 84 L2000 and thankfully there are no hissing,nor noise issues with the preamp and this bass simply whomps!!! i don't know much about the newer ones..anyone ccare to elaborate?? btw..congrats on the new bass.capitalize on that initial excitement and take a step forward..all the best.
  15. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    As I stated in our ongoing emails.This bass is from the first month of production(less than #50?).It has not just a BOO serial# but a BOOO serial#.(under #1000)
    It is the most desirable wood combination,Mahogany body,Maple neck/board.
    It has NO fret wear,no neck finish wear,and built like a tank,without weighing a ton.
    There is like zero space in the neck pocket.
    The ones you see on ebay going cheap,are ASH bodied anchors,with no history.And if you watch them you'll see the same ones coming up fo rsale over and over.This draws me to the conclusion that theyre undesirable examples-for whatever reason.
    You also have the earliest pick up(slotted pole pieces) these tend to be more even throughout the tonal spectrum.And a little more sensitive to overtones.IMHO.
    An L-1000 has NO PRE AMP(no battery) so naturally it cant make that nasty hiss the 2000s do!
    As far as telling them(customs) it was used,of course I did! I wrote "1980 G&L Electric Bass Guitar"as the name of the item!Right on the Bill of Sale!
    I also included a NAFTA statement so they would
    charge the favored rate.
    Let me know if they need a statement from me,Id be happy to help out.
  16. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Generally speaking,most G&L bass enthusiasts prefer the mahogany/maple with this paticular series.
    That doesnt mean Ash is not good,or you shouldnt like it.
    I had an Early 1981 L-2000(first year) that I bought from DanLakin(Lakland) that weighed just about 13 lbs! If played it standing up it you hunched over and your neck and shoulder were in pain.
    If you played this thing sitting down,it cut off the circulation in your right leg(pins and needles) within a few minutes!
    Dan was gracious enough to let me return it.
    But he had me send it directly to Bob Hynosky!
  17. Mr. Gump I like it when you say good things about this bass! I already feel the goodness emulating from it's finished pores, and keep loving it.

I did find that you get a really cool sound with the bass/treble all the way down, but it probably wouldn't be the best sound for everything (The mids sound really nice!) I guess I'll find the sweet spot, and go with it!

Are there any favorite strings for this bass?
    Any favorite tone settings?
  18. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Its VERy long time since I spent any time with that bass.Chances are,the way the knobs were set when you got it was a favorite tone.Unless of course they got moved.I remember using the "full on" or Humbucking position of the toggle most.And one of the other positions for a "quacky" kind of Musicman slap tone.Third position-I dont think I used at all.
    I almost always put the three knobs to about 3/4 each and then fine tuned from there.
    Your amp will make a large difference.
    When I was big into that bass I did alot of studio work with a mid 50s Ampeg 535(?)Pre-flip top.
    I also have a small Trace BLX and an original SVT with original 8x10(no wheels,eight compartments).
    Your technique and the type of music you play will dictate the sound you strive for.It is a very versatile bass.With alot of usable sounds.Unlike some modern basses that have 40 knobs but get only two real kick ass tones.
    what kind of amp do you use?What kind of music?
  19. I too have been enjoying the humbucking position for general fingerstyle use, and the single/series position for the slap (Brighter tone). The tone knobs can virtually be put in any combination of settings, and still get a nice sound out of it. I was just curious to see what other people might use for settings, so I could try some owners favorites.

Strings however are a huge consideration to tone IMHO, and a costly way to fine tune sound, so I was curious as to what others might use and why? I've started with some Power Slinky's, and think they sound good, but I would like something a little brighter perhaps (maybe just a lighter gauge will do?) D'addarios where pretty groovin, but didn't have the sonic presense that I wanted. I should probably post under strings the way this is going?:rolleyes:

I personally think this bass sounds really good bright, and has a really fat bottom to hold it down.
    So I've been setting things high on treble, and I've always believed you should get your tone more out of your hands and strings than trying to EQ sound out IMHO. I've been playing closer to the bridge which helps allot, but I just need to try a slightly brighter string.

This is still a wicked bass though!:D

Very happy, high recomendations for G&L.:D
  20. DR Lowriders are the strings!