1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD G&L L-1000 (w/L2K neck), killer Wilkins refinish

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by dukeplaysbass, Feb 6, 2017.

1. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Price:
    $0
    Strings:
    This was a long-running (2+ year) project of mine. I've run out of time and patience for it. If you ever wanted to try out a Wunkay without going into the big bucks, this is for you...

I bought the bass with a broken neck and terrible stripped finish. I had the famous Pat Wilkins do a gorgeous see-thru blonde refin, and mated it with a L2k neck I had from another abused bass (the neck has a few bumps and nicks, but none that affect how it plays -- see the pics for more detail). I also had to replace the OMG switch (old one was clearly broken, still not sure I got all 3 positions working) but it certainly sounds like a killer Wunkay should.

Neck is 1 5/8" at the nut, weights 9.5 lbs.

I've got way more into this bass than the asking price, but as I said at the top, I'd rather pass this 95% done bass on to a new happy home and clear some space in the Barn.

Comes with a gig bag (the case in the pix is gone).

$OLD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. rbeck47

rbeck47 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Duke's the best - love his gear, and he knows his Wunkays. Good price on this one.

noeinstein likes this.
  3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You say 95% done; what's left?

Thanks

joebar likes this.
  4. dukeplaysbass

The only thing (possibly) left is figuring out the 3 position switch. The original was totally broken, and I've done a couple of these and I *think* I got it right. The OMG (bass boost) if definitely working but the middle positions sounds *slightly* different than OMG, and those two sound dramatically different than the last position. For the record, I LOVE Wunkays, have owned several dozen, and only use the "bass boost" setting, so fixing it beyond this didn't matter much to me. But if you gotta have all 3 positions working and making distinct sounds, you might want to debug this a little.... That make sense?

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Yes. Thanks for the clarification.

6. dukeplaysbass

Pix of the electronics

image. image.

7. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Love it. Wish I could swing it.

8. dukeplaysbass

Thanks guys, still available.

9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I can't believe this is still here. What a god awful market we're in!

TomB likes this.
  10. svtbass

svtbass Supporting Member

Extra points for whomever previously owned that neck and hated cymbal headaches. :thumbsdown: Nice looking refin.