1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L-1500 pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by deluxejusa, Nov 16, 2018.

1. deluxejusa

deluxejusa

Jan 30, 2012
    I got an L1500 on a trade and I love the feel and look of it, but the tone not so much. Even with the bass and treble eqs boosting, the mids never go away. Looking to change the pickup and maybe the electronics. I'm not too worried about resale as this model isn't the most sought after. Knowing that routing will be needed, I was looking at either Seymour Duncan or Bartolini to replace the stock humbucker. Looking for suggestions on how to achieve more of a MM Sterling tone. Thanks!

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I used to have an L-1500, so I understand this issue, and I don't think you need to change the pickup. Rather, you can add a capacitor to lower the resonant frequency of the pickup, which is a cheap mod. This is explained in depth on bassesbyleo.com, and if I still had my L-1500 I would do this in a heartbeat:

BassesByLeo • View topic - The Taming of the Climax/L-1500 Bass

Or, if you don't mind using effects, try an Aphex Bass Xciter, which fattened up my L-1500 perfectly, with devastating results. It was really amazing, though not necessary with rigs that blunted the high-mids intensity of the L-1500.

3. deluxejusa

deluxejusa

Jan 30, 2012
    Thank you for replying. I read through the mod quickly and it looks to effect the high end. My issue with the tone is the bass eq not being low enough. It seems to boost the low mids more than the bass frequencies.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    On G&L L-series basses, the bass tone control doesn't boost at all. It's a passive bass cut. But yes, given the L-1500's pickup placement, the bass tone control affects mids more than deep bass.

You could install a different preamp with fully active EQ, so you'd have on-board bass boost. I believe some folks on TB have done this with their L-series basses.

And yeah, it does look like that capacitor mod is more about taming the high end, which is a good thing on the L-1500. I did the resistor mod on mine, which only affected active mode and made it much more useful IMO.

5. deluxejusa

deluxejusa

Jan 30, 2012
    I decided on replacing the preamp instead. I'm going to order a nordstrand 2b. I think a standard 2 band with boost and cut will help me achieve what I'm after.

6. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Let me know if you decide to sell the G&L preamp.