Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&l L-1500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pinkfloyd, Mar 22, 2001.

1. I've been wanting to buy a Stingray but at the monent I don't have a way of getting even close to the money one cost, so I was looking around to getting a bass close to that and I saw a used G&L L-1500 for 389 with a hardshell case. Mine questions are is that comperable to a musicman? is that a good price for one? and is that a well made bass.

2. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I think that's an amazing price. I bought a near new L-2500 for $650 with HSC, and thought I got a great deal, but $389 is terrific. It's a bit of a mystery why G&L's don't resell as good as MusicMan. G&L's are terrific basses, and you probably know that both MM and G&L are Leo Fender creations. I'd say go for it, but try to play it first. Nice score...

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I just saw a used 1500 today going for over a grand. It was described as "dead mint" condition.

Is that a well made bass? It's about as good as it gets!!!

I'm with Santos. I'd be all over it, AFTER I had the opportunity to check it out and made sure it plays well, the electronics are fine, and the neck is true.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Comparing the MM to the G&L: Different but the same. They have similar humbucking pickups, active 9 volt pre-amps. The cool thing about the L-1500 is it has a pre-amp on/off switch & series/parellel switch. The L-1500 is a more versatile bass & I personally think that G&L's are much better than Music Man's. Plus if the bass is in good condition, that person is giving the bass away!!!!! JUMP ALL OVER IT!!!!

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Ahh, you've noticed the L1500 on ugbm. I'd hoped (in vain) that no one would notice for a month or two while I accumulated the funds to buy it. They've actually had that one listed for 599 for a while now. I don't know why they dropped the price this week. Go for it. My L-2000 is great and I think an L-1500 is in my future someday. If you buy that one then I can stop hoping that I'll be able to get it.

It's a good price as the best price I've seen on a brand new one is 710 - and they don't seem to come available used that often. I think because they aren't as popular as the L2000 there just aren't as many around.

6. G&L are good basses! Well built, excellent tone, good electronics, and nice looks! I own an L2000. Sunburst, alder, with maple finger board. For that price, it's a STEAL! Even for a used one

7. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Its been sold.I called to get it myself and cried/cursed when they told me the bad news.Whoever got that baby is one lucky mo fo!!!!

8. GOX42

GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    I had a G&L ASAT fretless bass made for me about 5 years ago it had a great Bass tone but I had a problem getting a good fretless sound outa it and I alsso had a problem with the 9-volt pre=amp overloading and distorting when I played real hard even with a new battery but for that kinda price how can you pass it up...............

9. YES.....I do have that problem too. My L2000 would distort if the volume pot is turn all the way up...I mean if I play hard. and even if I turn the volume back abit, and slap real hard over the neck PU, there's minor distortion, more like a "click". I aint complaining, just agreeing. G&L? Great bass!