1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L L-1505 Electronics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, May 22, 2001.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I have an L-1505 ... The only thing wrong with it, in my opinion, is the lack of a mid-range knob. I was thinking of changing the treble knob to a mid one. I never use the treble one anyway. Is this even possible?

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Although I'm a EE I'm really a software guy so I'm not sure. I had to repair my Climax (predecessor to the L1500 - the bass control pot literally came apart) and grabbed the schematic from G&L. It's interesting that the G&L bass and treble controls work in passive mode. They are a high-pass and low-pass filter composed of caps and pots (I can't remember if there are any resistors in there - if there were they were under the preamp and not attached to the bass pot even though everything else was). That's why they work in passive mode (and are cut only). I suppose you could put a band-pass filter in instead of a high-pass but it would still be cut only.

If you really want 3-band eq I think you might look into replacing the electronics with a Seymour Duncan or Bartolini (or other mfr) preamp that has the features and sound you like. That was my backup plan if I couldn't fix the Climax or munged it up completely. I still think about an L-2000 with separate series/parallel controls and volumes for each pickup with either a 3rd party 3-band eq or using a stacked pot for the treble/bass controls.

My personal answer to wanting more midrange out of my G&Ls is to go to parallel mode. I'm liking it more and more for playing with the band - series sounds great to my by itself but series seems more balanced and cuts through better for me on both the L2000 and the Climax.