Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-1505 Electronics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, May 22, 2001.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I have an L-1505 ... The only thing wrong with it, in my opinion, is the lack of a mid-range knob. I was thinking of changing the treble knob to a mid one. I never use the treble one anyway. Is this even possible?

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Although I'm a EE I'm really a software guy so I'm not sure. I had to repair my Climax (predecessor to the L1500 - the bass control pot literally came apart) and grabbed the schematic from G&L. It's interesting that the G&L bass and treble controls work in passive mode. They are a high-pass and low-pass filter composed of caps and pots (I can't remember if there are any resistors in there - if there were they were under the preamp and not attached to the bass pot even though everything else was). That's why they work in passive mode (and are cut only). I suppose you could put a band-pass filter in instead of a high-pass but it would still be cut only.

If you really want 3-band eq I think you might look into replacing the electronics with a Seymour Duncan or Bartolini (or other mfr) preamp that has the features and sound you like. That was my backup plan if I couldn't fix the Climax or munged it up completely. I still think about an L-2000 with separate series/parallel controls and volumes for each pickup with either a 3rd party 3-band eq or using a stacked pot for the treble/bass controls.

My personal answer to wanting more midrange out of my G&Ls is to go to parallel mode. I'm liking it more and more for playing with the band - series sounds great to my by itself but series seems more balanced and cuts through better for me on both the L2000 and the Climax.