Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-1505 opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Hi. I just traded a Warwick Thumb 5 bolt-on for a mint, natural-ash finish G&L L-1505 plus $300 cash, which seemed like an equitable deal to me, especially since the Thumb 5's narrow string spacing and lack of strap balance drove me crazy. . . and my wife loved the idea that I was actually getting a LESS-expensive bass for a change!!!

But anyway, I can't figure out why nobody ever seems to mention the L-1505 anywhere. It's got a beautiful, open, clear passive sound, along with a very in-your-face active sound if you want that. Plus, it's got the usual G&L series/parallel switch, which gives it the potential either for "slappiness" or for a HUGE bottom end.

I actually talked to a guy at G&L when I was looking for info on this bass, and he said he owns both a 1505 and an L-2500, and prefers the more "open" sound of the one-pickup model, especially on tape.

So I'm wondering -- anyone out there have experience/opinions regarding the L-1505?

2. I have played the L-1505, but I own a L-2500.....
    The reason I bought the L-2500 is that it's a little more diverse in it's sound, but one of the sounds I use most is the bridge pickup only, while set on passive, so YES I THINK THE L-1505 ROCKS!!!!!

3. So, Christos, did you find that the L-1505 sounded different from the bridge pu sound on an L-1505? Obviously, the pickup placement is slightly different. . . I owned an ASAT bass, and felt the bridge pu on it was too close to the bridge, and thus, too treble-y.

4. Sure not exact, but very similar......I think the L-1505 is better for percussive playing than the
    L-2500....... The bridge pickup on the 2500 could be tinny but I just roll off the highs a tad and it is fine..... I am probably the ultimate G&L fan, so I would not doubt it if I eventually buy a 1505 just to have as a backup......

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I played both & owned an L-2500. Both excellent basses. I just like the 2500 over the 1505 because it's more versatile. I want to get another one. There is a cool 5500 on eBay (2 EMG DC-40 p/u's) that I am high bidder on. I think that G&L's are the best non-custom shop basses on the market. Good look with it.

6. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I have an L-2500 that I love but am thinking of maybe trading it for an L-1505 with maple board. I'm kind of the opposite, in that I think I'd prefer the simpler design of a single pup. My new Cort Curbow 6 has a single pup and I love the range of sounds I get with it, but the fact it has a midrange control certainly factors in...

7. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I bought the L-1505 also, because I only use one pick up... you can get tons of sounds out of it.... I might be changing the pick up to a bartolini, just like my Lakland.

Any thoughts on that?

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why not just play w/the front pick-up only for now. In the future you might like it that you have the option for another pick-up.

I'd say keep the G&L pick-up. They're very versitile. You already have a bass w/Bart's in it. Variety is the spice of life.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What Nino said!

Don't modify the G&L, the reason people modify MIM Fenders is because they want better sound, and the G&Ls have some of the most versatile electronics around, a ton of tones available, most of them good.

10. Hi guys, long time no talk. I'm just curious what the price difference between the L2500 and the L1505 is. I was recently quoted a price of $999.00 for a L2500, is that competitive? Trent

11. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    go to www.bassnw.com and see what they have. Last I looked they were having a G&L sale.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you look carefully, you'll see the pickup on the 1505 is located exactly between the two pickups of the 2500. So the bridge pickup of a 2500 is just a bit closer to the bridge, maybe 1/4" or so...a subtle difference, your ears will be the judge.

I'm another 2500 user who only uses the bridge pickup in series mode and since I never use the treble boost (not found on the 1505) I'd probably be just as happy with the single pickup model.

I really like having both the bass and treble controls usable in passive mode (one feature no other maker has ever picked up on) and the saddle locking feature of the bridge.