Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-1505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pre EB, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Who has a G&L 5 string and what do you think about it? I'm tossing around the idea of getting a fiver in the distant near future, and I sure like that they are American made by hand at a reasonable price. The G&L's that I've played have all been 4 string and I couldn't get them to sound nearly as good as my Stingray, but they felt really nice.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own the double pickup 2500. I happen to prefer the sound to the StingRay quite a bit, but that's personal preference.

If you like StingRays, get a StingRay 5. They both cost about the same new, though in the used market G&Ls are much cheaper (good if you're buying, bad if you're selling).

If you have specific questions about G&L, fire away.

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I kinda want to avoid a Stingray 5 because my brother has had some neck problems (dead spots and a weird other thing that is hard to describe) with two EB Stingrays, and since he bought them used, EB was not real keen on helping him. Not under trying to get it fixed under warranty, mind you, but really high prices for a new neck plus exchanging the old. Can you get the same fatness of tone with the G&L's? I love the feel and styling and they seem really versatile. I would probably only be able to afford a used one, though.
    How hot are the active electronics? Can you get a good rock, reggae, blues tone out of the L-1505? My Stingray is an early eighties and the tone seems to be much superior to the EB's. I read somewhere that Leo took the preamp design with him when he sold Music Man. That's what made me think I could get a similar tone. What do you think? Oh yeah, are they a 34" or 35" scale?
    Thanks for your help,
    Joe

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I also own a G&L L2500, the duel pup 5'er. The active electronics are a bit hotter than the passive signal, which in parallel is about a Ray, maybe a bit less, and way hotter when series. They're 34" scale. I dunno about a ray tone, but you'll get "good rock, reggae, blues tone" for sure! With the 2 pups, the neck one in series is super fat and bassy. Think P bass on steriods (sp?).

Give it a try. I'll get pics of mine up soon.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I also have the double PU L-2500.

I would recommend getting the dual PU version if you get one. Its just the best way to get the most you can.

I think its an incredible bass. It has the highest output of any bass Ive ever played. The preamp is very versitile, and the extra switches are great too.

You have a volume knob, treble (boost or cut) knob, and bass (boost or cut) knob.

You can do series or paralell; bridge PU, Neck PU or both; and you can go Passive, Active, or active with a trebble boost.

In addition, when in passive mode you still have seperate bass and treble controls (cut only)

As Im sure youve heard this is probably the most versitile bass, so I would not worry about it onot fitting any style music.

Im sure that the 1505 can do all blues rock regae, but I almost always use my neck pickup when playing, especially rock, so I would definetly recommend the 2500.

They might not hit the Ray tone exactly, but it can get somewhat close.

Besides you might find a G&L tone that you like more. (They have many, so you have alot to pick from!) My favorite rock tone is purely G&L: both PU's, series mode, active mode with high boost, bass full, treble half.

If you have a chance to try out an L-2500 you should. They have a lot of tones so I recommend that you take the time to try them all, and try out my settings for rock.

Peace
    Nick

6. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I had wanted to Play a 1505 for a while since I have a L-2000 and love it. I also have Stingray5 that is now my #1. Before I got the Stingray I was
    considering a L-1505 or L-2500 . The 2500 was a real nice bass but too much like the bass I already
    had and I was not able to find the 1505 to try.
    I recently found a used 1505 in my local guitar center and I did not like it at all I could not get a good sound out of it . I A/B with a Stingray5 and it blew the 1505 away. Then I did the same thing with a 2500 and the 1505 and the same thing.
    I will still like to try another one before I make my
    final jugement though.

7. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've done the same thing, gotten a crappy tone out of them, and I'm sure that it was my fault! Leo's designs have a pretty good history, wouldn't ya say!?!? Perhaps we both were tweaking the knobs and switches the wrong way. They're not marked and maybe we got them fighting against each other.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well Ive owned a 1505, and a 2000, and I did not like the 1505 at all. The big plus of having a G&L is its versatility and it did have that in the 1505. I didnt like any of the tones. The 2000 I liked alot.

If your looking for a bass that has a tone somewhat like a Stingray. You could try a MTD Kingston/Heir. It sounds like a p-bass meets a stingray tone. And its cheap.

And for the record Ive had:
    1-G&L 1505
    2-G&L 2000
    1-Stingray
    1-Stingray 5
    1-MTD Kingston

And I prefered the Kingston to all of them.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personaly, I'd Recomend the G&L BUT if you're dead set on the Musicman sound, nothing does it like a MusicMan. The G&L L-1500 & L-2500, IMO, can do a good MM sound, but not exactly!!!! I know alot of people w/Ray 5's (including myself) & I've never seen of heard of problems with their neck.

Another option is the SkyLine 55-02. I know you said you wanted a USA made bass in your original post, but I own the 55-01 & it's a REALLLLYYYYY nicly made, great sounding & feeling bass.

10. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Where are the Skylines made again?

11. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I guess that why you don't see the 1505 around that much .The only single pick up G&L I like is the L-1000 which cops the P-Bass Sound.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Korea

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey we sell g&l at the music store i work at! g&l and spector our the high end basses we supply. The g&l will kick butt over most basses if you ask me! They just have this good standard sound that sounds great. But i must also say that i think spector high ends smash g&l sorry guys i play these basses all the time when the store dies down and man the spectors are sweet! So i bought a usa model for myself. But i can tell you that g&l do a great set-up and take alot of care in building these basses. The b string is very nice on the five strings. Havent had one yet that had buzz or any other problems accociated with five strings! I really dont think you could go wrong with a G&L!

14. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I have one, and I love it.... I replaced the pick-up and electronics with Seymour Duncan Basslines.. and whooooaaaaa much better.

15. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I do love G&L's and Will agree with Nino that the L-2000 is the best Regular production 4 string . I would rather have a L-2000 to a Stingray4 . And
    the I would have gotten the L-2500 if It was not for the StingRay5. (This is before the Skylines were out .)

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    G&L made a bass with EMG pickups if thats up your alley.

I believe its called the L-5500 or L-5000.

They dont make them anymore so your best bet to find one is eBay.

Peace
    Nick

17. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I'll have to play all the ones you mentioned and then start-a-savin'. Maybe get the G&L and if I don't like the sound, I can replace the preamp or pickups, or both. I just really like the way they feel ( the ones I played anyway), and look. I saw an L-2500 at a guitar show and it was beautiful! Very well made.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I just remembered that theres someone on eBay who is always selling G&L basses, and he has the most beautiful ones.

Some have binding of metalic finishes and matching headstocks.

You could probably also order one with any options you want from your local dealer.

Peace
    Nick