Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-2*00 electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassikLee, Jun 26, 2005.

1. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I have a Tribby 2500. Nice bass. As far as I cal tell, the preamp doesn't add any function, aside from the treble boost. Going from passive to active there is a boost in output, but nothing else really changes. Given that, I am toying with the idea of losing the preamp and having separate series/parallel switches for the pickups. Am I nuts>?>?

Lee

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I wonder if you have a bad preamp. The G&L L series basses that I have owned and played weren't subtle. When you start tweaking the preamp you get big results. I don't know what exactly you were expecting it to do but maybe a quick review of the settings will help.

From the G&L Tribute Site: G&L Tri-Tone active/passive electronics, 3-way mini-toggle pickup selector, series/parallel mini-toggle, preamp control mini-toggle (off/on/on with high frequency EQ boost)

3. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    What I mean to say is that all the treble/bass cut stuff stays the same, all the switches are the same. The only thing that really changes are from passive to ON, you get about a 6dB bump in level, and from ON to TREBLE BOOST you keep the 6dB bump and add to that quite a bump in the high end as well. That said, since the B&T controls are passive to begin with, and there is ONE switch for S/P for both pikups, I'd almost rather have separate switches and lose the preamp. Of course, I'd also rather have a pan, so maybe the answer is lose the pickup switch in favor of separate S/P switches, put a pan pot where the treb pot is, and do the T/B on a tsacked pot and keep the pre, who knows....

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Unless G&L downgraded the preamp in the Tribby your tone controls should be boost/cut, not passive shelving controls. You have a 3 way pickup selector, a ser/par switch for the 2 pickups relative to each other, and the 3-position off/on/treb-boost switch. If your controls aren't doing anything then either the battery is dead or you have a bad preamp.

5. cybergall

cybergall

Jul 5, 2005
    I have an L1505 which is the one-pickup version of your very same bass. G&L preamp controls, where you can go from active to passive, have never had "boost" controls on the pots. It's always "cut". That's how you are able to continue to affect the tone in passive mode. All other preamps give you the option of "preamp on" or "no tone control" where you are basically bypassing the tone controls. I too am very annoyed by the G&L preamp and find that it sounds better with it off. What I did, was to remove the preamp and then use the "preamp on-off" switch to be able to select either coil independantly when the "Series/parallel" switch is set to series. It honestly, doesn't come in extremely handy on my one-pickup model, but might have more relevance with your two pickup model.

6. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Yeah. If I decide to keep the bass, I may lose the preamp all together. For me, it adds gain, which I don't need. Then, in HF boost mode, it adds kind of a less than beautiful, biting HF thing. I like the bass overall. I'd like to sort of morph the electronics into something silimar to the Roscoe Beck 5, tho with the G&L B&T cut thing.