Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-2000: Are they ALL heavy??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b15fliptop, Mar 11, 2004.

1. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Hey,
    I'm familiar with L2000's, as I owned a cherryburst a few years ago. Of all the instruments I regret getting rid of, this one is at the top of the list. The ONLY reason I got rid of it is that it was WAY too heavy. My left hand used to go numb from that thing!

So my question is this: does anyone out there have a light L2K? Every one I pick up is a boat anchor. I'd really like to score a light one, but I'm wondering if such a beast exists. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. Mine's in the 9 or so pound range. Not that heavy.

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Are you talking about neck dive? because it'll neckdive. I always use suede straps, and they really grip. I've never had a neck dive problem since.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mine was a swamp ash body, and I think it came in around 9-10 lbs. It felt a lot heavier then than it would now, since the two basses I owned prior to that were both extremely light, and I now own a heavier (10.5 lb, I believe) bass.

It's relative, really. I can play as heavy a bass as I want for hours with not back/shoulder/arm issues.

5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've had 5 L2Ks over the last several years and none were "heavy" (probably all right around 9 lbs). Granted they were all recent (late 90s to 00s) except for one '87. A couple were ash, the rest alder and none were the infamous boat anchors (or neck dived to any extent).

I have noticed that it seems like the older ash and mahogany bodied ones are the ones that tend to be described as "heavy" (I've seen 12 lbs for one older G&L).

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Word to that.

JT's doubleneck (if I remember correctly) is like 28 pounds. Weight doesn't matter. It's all about the way you wear the bass.

FWIW, you should NEVER have to *hold* the neck of a bass up. If you are, something isn't right (i.e. wearing the bass too low or don't have a proper strap to hold it in place).

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    26. And it doesn't feel that bad at all once you've got it strapped on. Playing it, now that's something else entirely. Balances nicely, though.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    lol I was close. Sue me :spit: :D

I can imagine that playing it would be something else. It'd be like your first time.....wait....nevermind :D

9. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    This is weird. Right after I posted this, the guy I sold the L2K to about 5 years ago shows up at my work with it! What a co-ink-e-dink. Literally the first time I've seen it since parting ways. So I threw it on the UPS scale, and guess what? 11.8 LBS!!!

The bad news is that I played it for awhile, and now I MUST own another!

And I haven't experienced any neck dive at all.

Thanks for the feedback guys, at least I know the search must go on! :smug:

10. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    newer ones tend to be lighter. Just sold a 12.5 solid mahogany L2K - superb sound but could only get half way through the 3rd set with it!

11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    They definitely vary in weights, old and new ones alike. My main player is an '81 L-2000e (ash) that weighs in at around 8.5 lbs. Another guy owns an '81 (mahogany) that is around 12 lbs. I've never heard of neck dive being a problem with L-2000's. ASATs, yes... but L-2000's have a pretty typical P-bass/Stingray/everything else-like body shape.