G&L L-2000 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by antipop, Nov 13, 2003.

1. antipop

Nov 6, 2003
    Anyone have experience with it? I know it's heavy, but does it bring you down? How's the sound?
  2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    ASAT owner/operator; same electronics & build as L2K:
    Outstanding- G&Ls aren't heavy, they're substantial- other basses are light in comparison. Weight is not only from woods, but from solid, substantial components like the bridge, one of the best in the business.The density of the ash,alder,tillia
    and maple body and neck blanks that they use at G&L give them a phat& round feel that just seems right for a bass guitar.
    The MFD pups are hot, and by using the tri-tone circuit options, these become one of the most versatile sounding bass guitars around. With a good amp/cab (I highly recommend tubes!) the G&L's are widely reknowned for a great cut -thru in the mix.
    I had a chance to record with my ASAT recently, mostly in a passive mode- great sound.
    The finish, fit, and build of a Fullerton hand-built bass is as good as any bolt-on bass made
    anywhere at any price. Really.
    The ASAT was my first G&L bass, and its easy to see why they have a strong fan base. Leo Fender put his best ideas into the G&L line, & BBE has done a terrific job of upholding the quality.

Hey, play an L2 for yourself & see what YOU think...
  3. antipop

Nov 6, 2003
    sounds good

you recommend pickup replacements?
  4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Always get the best equipment you can afford...

Nordstand makes Custom Pup's. He makes Really, really good ones.

I would suggest if you want better pick ups to talk to him.
  5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Personally I would NOT replace the pups on a G&L-
    Besides being very hot and toneful, they are wired to match well with the tri-tone circuitry
    and switching on the active basses.
    I've heard L2's w/ EMG'S , I think they lose some
    compression, but that's my view- Others may like something else, Nordstrand, Aero, Duncan, whatever.
    Do take a look at the specs and factory tour on
    G&L's site; they show the winding methods & machinery used at the Fender Ave. plant-Leo
    Fender's brain in action! Also: the MFD pup design
    has some great engineering as to magnetics and adjustability of the pole pieces. Pretty cool, and
    gives a great tone balance too.
    If you can try the bass with the amp you're going to or want to use, all the better to decide.
    After several months playing the bass I custom-ordered from G&L, I'm having a hella fun time
    digging into it...But hey, that's me!
  6. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Larry, I can't tell if you like your ASAT or not
    :D .

I have an L-2000, everyone should at least try one. I agree with Larry, Leo saved his best for last. I have 3 G&L's. All have MONSTER tone and feel.

Funkize You, there is no need to change the PUP's on any G&L.

Edit: I was posting this while LarryNJ was posting his, again he is spot on with the G&L pup's.

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    ***** Undecided ******
    :D ;)

AS IF!!
  8. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    I am also considering one of these things. I cannot decide between this or the JB2. Can the L2000 get a decent JB2 sound
  9. Personally I would take an L2000 (with #6 neck) or an ASAT over a JB-2 anyday. But that's the kind of sound I like. Raw and agressive.

It also does a pretty good job of emulating any of the other famous basses: P, Jazz, Stingray, etc. Supposedly people can get a good Rickenbacker sound out of it, but I never bothered since I have the real thing. Frankly, my favorite tone is the L2000/ASAT one. If you really want to sound like those other basses and keep that as your tone then I suggest getting one of those. The versatility is just an aside to the already existing great tone the G&L has.

And I wouldn't ever change the pickups. They're a big reason why L2000s/ASATs are so great. A true work of art.

Hey Larry from the Dudepit boards. Good to all the other G&L guys who frequent this and the Dudepit G&L forum. I go under "boom boom ku" there.
  10. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah! What he said! :D
    I've had an L2k for about 2 years and totally dig it. The very first rehearsal I took it to, the guys in the band told me to sell my other basses, because this was the only one I needed. Well,they were right. But I did pick up another G&L-- an old SB-1. You wanna talk rumble machine. :cool:
  11. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    A redburst (I think) JB will be my next G&L,followed by an SB-2. They're that "bad" IMO.

The JB has "vintage" style alnico pups and is a passive bass. It has a real old-school
    thump but can also get as modern sounding as you need. The L-series/ASAT's can get the feel in passive mode, but the JB is very much a phat round
    tone machine with its own character. You gotta play one, & if you're as crazed as me, you gotta own one...

Couple months back, when I decided to treat myself to another axe, I considered a LOT of higher end basses, beginning with a beautiful
    Sadowsky, and considered about two dozen basses, from Alembic to Zon so to speak.(Some really nice ones...check out DC Jones, e.g.)
    I really dug the Tele body, and took a harder look
    into G&L's ASAT.
    The "Dudes" at the Pit had a lot to do with me ultimately taking the plunge. G&L basses seem to have an almost cult-like following!
    Didn't take me long to understand why-It took about 9 weeks to get my custom-build; the bass is just...
    well,- RIGHT. Yeah, Leo got it, that is how the
    Bass guitar is supposed to feel, play, and sound.
  12. I have a 1996 L2000 and it is an awesome bass. I would say that it gets a pretty close JB2 sound when the pups are passive and on paralell mode. but if you are looking for that single coil J bass sound then it is lacking there. it does a better P bass and music man. and it has a wounderful fendery tone of its own, and when you throw it is series and crank it the thing will make people run and hide. very powerful tone. mine is kinda noisy but I have heard they have fixed that in the new models. I'm gonna pick up some shielding and shiels the cavity one of these days.
  13. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I have a 1982 L2000E, mahogany body, rosewood neck and it is HEAVY. And the tone matches--HEAVY. It's a great bass with a lot of different sounds that are all good. Since I've joined the Modulus club I hardly play it anymore but I will likely never part with it either, just too damn good a bass to let go. I don't think you'd regret it........:cool:
  14. I remember reading about the L2000E, that in comparison an ordinary P-Bass sounds like having a "thick curtain" in front of the speaker. Since the mid eighties I've always been intrigued in trying one, but unfortunately I haven't come across one yet.
  15. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    As my name would imply I'm a G&L ASAT nut. Never have to say too much when LarryJ is around cause his descriptions are the best. Agree with everything he says. Hard to believe you would not be happy with a L2K. With the electronics I get a great jbass and pbass tone in one bass. Get one, join the nuts!
  16. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    OK, so I was 16, or maybe 17,(it was a while back)
    and Linda's parents were gone, and....:D

What I mean to say, is opening the carton...& then the case when my custom Blonde ASAT arrived-
    brought back certain, um feelings!!!!
    It was awesome! Nobody had ever played that bass, it was made for ME in Fullerton,and all that aside-

Ya gotta play one. They're G&L basses & that's how they sound & feel. Just gotta play one.
  17. Theyre great basses! mine's a basic with alder wood, and plain maple neck and finger board. Its not heavy, growls for attention, looks cool, and affordable. Your get a tiny distortion if you maxed the volume pot, sounds awesome in passive. Active loses its warmth (IMO), pickup selection switch lacks the little specific increments of normal pick up panpot. What else?.....oh yes, you get a hardcase.
  18. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I own two L-2000s... A fretted #6 neck, and a fretless #8 neck. I firmly believe they are the best all around production bass made today. They are extremely versatile, very well built, and a joy to play. I have personally never heard of anybody who has owned one that did not like it.

19. I have an '86 L2000 fretless, white (now sort of blonde)with an ebony neck. Great feel and sound - get one, you can't go wrong...:D
  20. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    I have:

1. JB-2 blue sparkle with matching headstock
    2.'97 L-2000 - Custom with wood binding
    3. '82 L-2000e - mahogany

1. gets a lot of use cos it is very light and looks great on-stage, especially with the matching shoes and jacket!

2. Strung with TI flats is the main bass

3. Stays home at nearly 13lbs but sounds like thunder

Have tried Sadowsky, Lakland and MTD but the G&Ls do it for me and so the rest are up for sale.

G&L is the sleeper bass despite the best efforts of enthusiasts here and the pit. Great sound, great build quality and super value but as yet largely undiscovered by Joe P.

IMHO, changing the pickups defeats the object of buying G&L- forget it - just choose something else - these are not to tampered with! (I would excuse you for changing the P/U on the JB-2 though!)