G&L L-2000 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FuegodeX, Feb 13, 2001.

1. FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
    comments and reviews on this bass, i would search but the option is down.
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've got the L-1000, but I've played a few L-2000's. Extremely nice, and probably the widest tonal range around. Passive/active switchable, with split coil/humbucker switching on each pickup. You'll probably find some people here that swear by these basses.
  3. I have an L-2500 (5-string version of the L-2000). It is a tonal wonder, whatever you want you can get. Forward pickup, series switch and it's a P-bass, bridge pickup parallel and it's a stingray. Active it's HOT, passive and it's still louder than any other bass I own, active or passive. I have owned stingrays, precisions, jazzes, modulus and Lakland. This bass L-2000/2500 is the best most versatile bass for the money I have owned. Mine is a beautiful sunburst on swamp ash with maple board. Got it from Bass Northwest a few months ago at a killer price. It was Leo's last and best design. Play one and you'll see why.
  4. I also play an L-2500, love it. It can fit in, no matter what you're playing. I played the L-2000, it's identical, killer tone....
  5. FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    OK, I know Im about to get killed for saying this, but honestly, I dont like GLs that much. I must admit that they have incredible tonal range. But for some reason they all feel cheap when I play them (something about the neck).
  6. Cheap in what way? Is the neck too light for you? I am a huge fan of G&L, and I am not at all upset with you, I am just curious.... If it is that it is too light I can understand, I prefer this however...I played a 5 string Warwick and I thought it sounded great, but I don't care for the weight......
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I doubt that anyone will kill you for that opinion. I love my L2000E. Weighs a ton, Fender-like but with a sound all it's own.

BTW on your sig, it's "ka-razor";)
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have been playing a few and love them. I have my eye on a 1992 L2000 Trans red with a rosewood board at my local store that I might scoff up at 529.00.
  9. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Funkmasta, I am not sure if you know that G&L offers various types of necks, from typical J-type to P-type to at least 3-4 other variants. That is just one more great feature of G&L's - you can choose the neck type according to what suits you. This applies to both 4-string and 5-string models, as well as to their guitars.
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    G&L Is the <b>BEST</b> production basses on the market. End of story!!! :) Every model bass I've played is awesome!!! (Not including custom made boutique basses.)
  11. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I love my L2000. I found it after owning and trading/returning/selling an EB Musicman Stingray, a Fender American Deluxe Precision and a Carvin B4. The range of tones is awesome, I can always find a sound that works for me regardless of string age, guitar competition, or what my ears are doing that day. I love the standard neck (I have an older SB-1 with #6/jazz neck and I prefer the wider standard neck), particularly the oil finish that leaves the wood feeling "bare".

Mine is alder bodied with a rosewood fretboard and I think it's great. Quality-wise I find it comparable to the other basses I listed above. I'm a big G&L fan.

I kind of wish it had some pickguard or control plate but that's a personal thing. Anyone know if I can get a control plate like the older ones and slap it on there?
  12. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    See...I can't understand all this! I've heard so much good about G&Ls and their wonderful construction and sounds! I've tried and tried and tried to like G&Ls, but have the hardest time with them:(! It's not only the feel, because I've played the jazz neck as well as the p-neck. In fact, I even liked the feel of the jazz neck! Furthermore, I actually respect this company (which doesn't always happen;))...but, for some reason, I still haven't found my sound in one!:confused:

I don't know why, because I think a bass that receives so many accolades is something that I'd think I like. But, to each his or her own. Perhaps I'll come across one that I do like or will manage to find my sound through a G&L one day...
  13. If you notice G&L fans are a kind, warm, caring, non-violent breed, we will not harm you for your opinion, It must be the soothing tones of the instrument....Now go on another thread and mind your own business before you get hurt.......ONLY KIDDING!!!!!
  14. Have you tried their passive basses: the LB-100, SB-1, SB-2 or the brand new JB-2 (2 passive J pickups)? I appreciate the versatility of my L-2000, but I must admit that I usually favour the tone of my SB-2 in general.
  15. I'm obsessed with the 2500, nicest thing i've ever touched, i'm not sure i'm worthy :) i loved it, i want it, i cant afford it :(
  16. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    I can't say enough about G&L i own a stingray the anniversary model and i owned an ASAT the same electronics as the L2000 and i liked the ASAT so much i custom ordered one from buffalo bros.once i started to play the ASAT the stingray stayed in the case.the sound is something to be reckoned with.iv'e have noticed most people only get to play these in the store and when they really shine is in the live mix while playing out.iv'e tried many basses in the store and they sound great but the G&L stands the test of the live situation and thats when the real guitar stands out.

and remember as always rock till ya drop !!!!!
  17. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Help me out here! I was playing a G&L L-2000 fretless in a store the other day and I didn't want to leave it there -- what a sweet bass! The only thing that didn't sit right with me was a dead spot from around C to D on the G-string. How's the response on other G&L's you guys have played? Are dead spots fairly common on these basses and I should just get over it? It's a used model, so the shop wanted $700 out of it. Is this decent or should I think about a new one and hope I don't get a dead spot?
  18. I played an L2000 for my final year at school and used it for my practical tests it was probably the most beutiful bass I have ever played it was amazing the sound and feel were perfect for me and to this very day I wish I had bought it, actually there was one exactly like it at the bass shop near me I may have to make a purchase very soon when the money comes by.

I would reccomend them to anyone as possibly the most versatile bass around. The pieces I played were 2 rock, 1 jazz, 1 reggae and I was able to get the right sound for all of them from just the bass alone.
  19. I have three G&L's and they are all free of dead spots. I've never noticed any on any of the G&L's I've played so this one is probably an exception. Chances are if you order a new one it won't have a dead spot.
  20. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I placed the winning bid on a '00 L-2000 yesterday. It was bought brand new last month, but the seller needs to let one of his basses go right now.

Basically it's brand new, I even talked to G&L and they were verifying all the specs over the phone to me...and all I gave them was the serial#! I didn't even tell them anything about it, they told me, so it's legit.

I would like a different finish and the #6 neck instead of the standard one, but for the price, I had to get this one. It came out to $500 + shipping, I can't wait to get it next week!