G&L L-2000 clips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Dec 23, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Ok I know there are samples on the G&L page, but they're all slap, and I wanted to post some fingerstyle ones. I think someone posted a link a while back, but hey, the more the merrier :)

I didn't feel like posting 18 different samples for every switch combination. So for each sample I put the bass in a different preamp mode and coil setting, and just changed the pickups throughout the groove. You can sort of hear the "plink" of me flipping the switch. I figure that it'll highlight the difference in tone just from using each pickup setting throughout the groove instead of a seperate sample for each. My hand position is between both pickups.

Enjoy, and my playing is kind of iffy so be gentle :D

Active + Treble Boost - Parallel
    Active + Treble Boost - Series
    Active - Parallel
    Active - Series
    Passive - Parallel
    Passive - Series
  2. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I don't know why you didn't get any replies for this! it's exactly what i was looking for. once again your sound clips have helped me out :>

i shall be going comparing one of these babies to a stingray tomorrow.

whats your opinions on the bass?
  3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    People are probably just being polite "If you can't say anything nice..." *lol* :)

Oh I absolutely LOVE the bass. I've been through more basses in the last year than I should have, for a guy who just plays for his own amusement in his room *lol* But this is the first bass that I could see myself owning forever and not wanting for anything else (as far as a fretted 4 goes). The amount of tones from this bass is totally amazing. I play a wide variety of things and have alot of favorite tones, and I can always find something to either totally match a particular tone or atleast come close to or fit in with really well. Even just my hand placement is really effective. Moving from over the neck pup, to in between both, and back to the bridge pup varies the tone nicely. I love that I can play up right by the neck too. On the Sterling I couldn't do that. I had to play VERY lightly and it just didn't feel right.

Still on playability..the Sterling played easier, the action FELT alot lower, and it was the easiest playing bass I've used. The G&L feels more solid. I feel like I can dig in a bit more, and it has alittle bit more of a stiffer feeling in the strings. Its not hard to play, it just feels different. I guess to me, it feels like how I thought a bass should feel. It doesn't feel fragile. The Sterling felt like I had to be gentle when playing it. It didn't feel right when I'd play some rock and dig in. But thats just my opinion :)

I hope that makes sense :) Oh! I also prefer the tone "Stingray like" to the Sterling too. Solo the bridge pickup, put the pickups in paralell, cut the bass a bit and roll off the treble to half or less (for me), hit with some attack and it sounds fierce :)
  4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey Man, THANK YOU! That is awesome that you took the time to provide MP3 sound bites so we can hear the inherent sonic character of your bass. I wish more people would do that!

I like the Series sounds the best. I have a G&L Tribute 2500 and the tones are very very similar. Plenty of clarity and punch with plenty of midrange content that helps the bass tones punch through the mix. Nice job and thanks again!
  5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thank you :) I just think that if I'm sitting here thinking "Hey I wish I could hear a sample of a ____" That someone else is also :)
  6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    As usual I too can't say enough about these basses. They're great. I have always been a huge stingray fan though I also love jazz basses. The G&L's are the best of both, can cover more tones than just these and still be able to have a sound of their own. I've been stuck on them since our very own Dhuff let me check out one he had.

Tobias4, if you feel like you can't seem to get the action low enough you might want to look into an 80's model like I have. It has the 3-bolt design with the tilt adjustment which cured the problem for me. The G&L's necks don't shift for some reason like some of the older Fender jazzes are said to that I've ever heard. I personally don't care for the newer G&L's as much as the older ones. It kinda like comparing the Pre-Ernie Ball stingrays to the modern ones. The older G&L's just feel different and in my opinion better.;)

I have a feeling G&L is about to start doing a lot more business and be able to charge more in the future since it seems people are finally starting to catch on to how versatile and great their basses are.:cool:
  7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh I have the action where I want it now. I just had to get used to how the bass felt. Going from a Sterling to the G&L was alittle different. I actually prefer the feel of the G&L I think.
  8. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Holy shiznit, i went and played one.

My jaw hit the floor.

i then played a ASAT hollowbody, which was reduced by £250 in a sale.

my jaw went through the floor, and i then got very angry i don't have the cash to buy one.

within a year one will be mine. all mine. i just hope the UK don't catch on too quickly so the price rockets up! £1250 is perfect for my forseeable financial future.
  9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Check ebay, Thats where I got mine.
  10. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    unfortunately, UK ebay is pretty dire for basses!
  11. Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    I looooooooooooooooooooove talk bass.
    Been looking all over for soundfiles of this bass.

Didn´t impress me as much as I thought it would...
    Too bad...and no, I´m not talking about the playing - but the sound! :bassist:
  12. Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    Something about G&L's I just dont like.

I dunno call me weird...
  13. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Very cool, well done!

Those G&Ls do sound good.
  14. Very cool....

I think that there should be a Sticky for sound samples just like the "Show your Basses"...

thanks again...
  15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, recording direct into a sound card can alter ones perception of the tone. You might think differently in person. Like if I just went by the samples on G&L's site, I wouldn'tve gotten the bass.

I used to have MM Sterling samples up but those are long since gone.
  16. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004

I don't know why all the samples on the G&L web page are all slap. I think it's great that you put them on here without it. I love the sound of the G&L.

Good Job.
  17. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    I'll throw in a BIG thanks as well. My jazz can't do all that :(

Thanks a lot, :mad: , time to sell another bass! :p

BTW, what neck size is yours?
  18. Did you have all the pots all the way up?

I've had a G&L L2000 for about a year now and I have only recently found out the possibilities that the G&L offers. I like to cut the Bass almost all the way up, since the pickups are very HOT.

My favourite setup nowadays is both pickups in series, passive, bass at about 2-3 ( of 10). I'm getting a warm sound with growly (jazz-like, perhaps?) midrange like this. If the bass is all the way up, the sound is quite boomy IMO.

What are your favourite configurations?
  19. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK

Be patient mate - I've seen two stunning L2000's in the last six months and both went for <£700. It's one of those basses that I've always wanted but really can't justify as a spare/miscellaneous!

You seriously do not have to buy new here in the UK if you are struggling to get the cash together.

The classifieds here have some amazing deals, and in my experience 99% of people if asked politely are only too happy to ship abroad (it is zero extra work for them, except maybe gettting the quote and signing the customs form!).
    Consider the strength of the pound at the moment and you may even be able to afford it right now ;)
  20. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have the #8 neck. I had a JB-2 that I bought off someone here with a #6 and I sold it just for that reason. The neck itself felt great but the action felt too high.

I usually only use one or two setting variations. I either put both picks up, bass up all the way, treble rolled almost all the way off, active, series (thats bass boost right?). Sometimes I'll put just the neck pickup on. I like a round thump. I also have a foam piece that I wedge under the strings near the bridge sometimes too.