1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L L-2000 Nat?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcobien, Jan 15, 2012.

1. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    Bought a used 1982 G&L L-2000 Nat. Anyone know what NAT stands for? I assume Natural but not sure. The bass is yellow not natural so I'm a bit confused. Now I'm unsure if yellow is the original color. Just bought it online from G.C. Used Guitars and salesman didn't even know what a G&L Bass was... He gave me a serial number and the G&L website said it was a 1982 but not much more. I bought it anyways since I thought it was an ok deal for $599. I appreciate any thoughts or resources.

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    When you say "yellow" I assume you mean it's wood grain with a kind of yellowish tint to it rather than yellow paint. As far as I've seen "natural" means you can see the wood grain although often they do seem to have a yellowish tint which may or may not be aging or a pseudo age effect. From '82 it may be just natural coloration.

3. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    nice. you're probably right. I can see the wood grain through.

4. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    Here is the online pic from the GC website. not great resolution.

Attached Files:

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    the super bright lighting makes it look yellow, but thats definitely a natural finish.

6. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    Thanks! That gives me peace of mind.

7. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    In their standard color chart, G&L did not offer an untinted natural. Sounds like your finish is "honey," which is a yellow tinted natural.

Seems like you got a great deal on an early G&L. Those basses have excellent tone and quality.

8. Do you mean their current colors;

G&L USA Finishes

[​IMG]

Or something from 1982?

Link from GGJaguar's excellent site.
    GGJaguar's Guitarium and Ampeteria 1982 G&L L-1000

The older natural coatings applied a bit of what is called "ambering" to the wood because of the type of poly used. Current clearcoats are essentially transparent and do no ambering.

Ken...

9. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    RM... Thanks for the details. Ya I thought it was a good deal. I've got a used broken El Toro that I bought for pretty cheap but the electronics are not in working condition... and sending it out so not sure how it sounds. I heard the 1982 L-2000 in a pawn shop and had to have it but they wanted $1300. I love the 3 position switch near the jack that helps really dial in the tone of the Low End and the Variations of the Mid Low are pleasing to my style of playing.

10. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    Wow! Great Link. GGJaguar's... a lot of history. Thanks! I may spend a bit of time on that site.

11. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    So the verdict seems to be a NAT with and old poly causing "ambering" effect? or a Honey?

12. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    I was referring to "G&L Instrument Color Chart" as reprinted in "Guitars by George and Leo" by George Fullerton. The book doesn't date the chart, so in context I assume that the chart applies to all of their instruments produced under Leo's management.

The linked GGJaguar pic states: "Finish: Natural, polyester," but I don't read that as the official G&L color for that bass. It looks to me like the G&L color is "Honey."

13. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    I am just discussing likelihood; not certainty. Very little is certain when looking at a thirty-year-old bass from a company that produced thousands. ;)

14. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    understood. Looks like a neat book. Thanks for looking it up. I think I'll by the book... looks like a fun read.

Either way I'm stoked on the bass. Thanks all for the input and references.

15. Honey amber and the associated honeyburst are quite different from the natural finish, even the 1982 natural finish, with more of an orange-ish look.

Here's an example. Honeyburst with VERY light burst. The center is the same honey amber paint as used in the non-burst.

l-2000_body_4.

In the end, we all get to wait until he gets his bass in hand.

Ken...

16. There was no Honey finish offered in '82. Despite the poor quality pic, that bass looks like a typical G&L natural finish to me, likely over an ash body.

And if that's an eye gouger (pic is so bad it's hard to tell) on the headstock, then it's not likely an '82. Eye gougers show up in late '83-84. Nice looking bass.

17. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    Good point. Got me researching more.
    Interesting Link on the history of 1982 G&L headstocks.
    GGJaguar's Guitarium and Ampeteria 1983 G&L L-2000

The claim is that 1982 would have both types since the headstock change occurred in late 1982.

The serial number I got was just before the 1983 serial numbers which I assume makes a late 1982. It also says they started adding new colors in late 1982. This may explain the color. When the bass comes in this week... I'll take better pics.

18. GGJaguar

GGJaguar

Jun 15, 2005
    Glad everyone likes my website! Looks like an '83 to mid-'85 to me.

GG

19. jcobien

jcobien

Jan 14, 2012
    I found an old luthier in So.Cal that said he used to work directly with Leo designing the specs for the C&C Machines for G&L in Fullerton. His name is John Carruthers. He does great work and I'm going to have him set it up the way Leo would have wanted it. He may have some insights... I'll update the thread with any findings.

20. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Also be advised that G&L serial numbers were not sequential. Pull the neck and look for the neck date and body date to accurately date the bass. You can also check and see if that particular bass has ever been added to the G&L Registry at The G&L Enthusiasts Website which would give you more specific info about that bass.