G & L L-2000 or Stingray Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jun 30, 2001.

1. G&L L-2000

20 vote(s)
  2. Stingray Sterling

13 vote(s)
  1. which one is more versatile and overall a greater bass?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The L-2000, IMO, is a much better playing & sounding bass. It's so versatile that's it'd be the clear choice if you wanted to buy a new bass.

P.S. The StringRay <b>&</b> the Sterling are <b>two different</b> basses. :)
  3. mentalretard27

Jun 14, 2001
    I haven't had the chance to play the L-2000 yet, but with all the pickup combinations and options, it should blow either the sterling or stingray out of the water in terms of versitility. I have however played several sterlings and stingrays.

The stingray really only has one sound. Sure you can play with the preamp and alter it a bit, but its pretty hard to get away from its characteristic stingray tone (but a great tone it is!)

The sterling has a bit more versitility as it has a 3 way pickup selector switch as well as the preamp. So you can get 3 somewhat different sounds out of it. It won't sound exactly like a stingray or a jazz or a P bass, but thats just a sacrifice you have to make for versitility I guess.
  4. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Nino and MR nailed it. I am trading my Stingray 5 for a G&L L2500 because I desire more versatility. The Stingray sounds awsome, but I need more that the 2 or 3 great sounds that I can get out of it(it also has the three way switch like the Sterling). If I could afford to have about 4 or 5 basses, then I would have a Stingray/Sterling as well as a J and P ect. But I need one bass to be able to cover a lot of territory tone wise and that is hands down the G&L L ser. bass. I have a fretless L2000 and I can get Jaco to Pino to Manring type tones fairly effortlessly with this 10 year old bass
  5. Jeez Scott, you sure are having a tough time making this Stingray/L2500 decision, eh? I'm probably going to be selling my L2500 if you're interested.....details forthcoming.

Anyway, onto the topic at hand. I would definitely say that the L2000 is more versatile than the Sterling. I think the Sterling could probably get you a little closer to the Stingray sound, but unless that's really what you want the L2000 is far superior. I currently own an L2500 and am working on getting a Stingray 5 (which is pretty much a Sterling 5, given that it's got the coil switch) simply because I like the Stingray sound. For me personally the L2500 just has more versatility than I need at the moment, and I've always wanted a 'Ray.

I know it's pretty obvious to say this, but you should really play both in a store. You may fall in love with the playability of one over the other. Personal preference is going to be a huge issue here.

Let us know how it all turns out!
  6. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Dave, I love the Stinger, but just need more and the more I played the G&L L2000, the more I knew I wanted the L2500. Scott
  7. It's cool. I just won a Stingray 5 on ebay....

Should be here in a few days.
  8. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
  9. which is the more "affordable" bass, then?

how much?

any good deals out there?
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  11. I would say that those two basses should be pretty close in price. I really think it would benefit you to play them both (if you can find a way), and decide which one you like the most.

If you have to buy without playing either, I don't know which I'd suggest. They're both excellent basses. The L-2000 wins clearly in the versatility department as far as I'm concerned, but the Sterling can get a lot closer to the signature Stingray sound. This is definitely an issue of personal preference.

I would definitely second what good 'ole Mr. Johnson said. Check out bassnw.com

They've got some good deals on G&L basses. If you're interested in Sterlings, check www.basscentral.com

Fire off email or call either of these places and they'd be glad to help you out. You can also talk to Gard, as I believe he works at Bass Central.

Hope this helps!
  12. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    A few things you should consider when deciding between a Sterling and an L-2000.

1) The Sterling has a single pickup. Some slappers like the extra space.

2) The Sterling has 22 frets while the L-2000 has 21. Do you need that extra fret?

3) The L-2000 typically has a wider, heftier neck than the Sterling, unless you special order from G&L.

4) G&L's custom options for the L-2000 include different neck sizes, body or neck binding, ash or alder body, Bird's Eye Maple necks, figured wood tops for bodies, deluxe cases, various neck finishes, matching headstocks, ebony fingerboards, gold hardware, vintage sized frets, and reverse headstocks.
    Ernie Ball MusicMan offers Piezo bridges, matching headstocks, and various pickguards for the Sterling.

5) The Sterling's preamp is 3-band active boost and cut, while the L-2000 is 2-band passive cut that is switchable on and off.

6) The Sterling has a contoured, 5-bolt attachment neck heel. The L-2000 has a standard profile, 6-bolt attachment neck heel.

7) The L-2000 is a much larger instrument than the Sterling. The L-2000 is longer and heavier.

If you need additional help, why don't you let us know what kind of music you like to listen to and play, and also what you are looking for in a bass. Although some of their features overlap, the L-2000 and the Sterling are quite different instruments.
  13. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm selling my stingray, to get a GL L-2000.
  14. well i play in a church band and i like to play the stuff that Red Hot Chili Peppers play...not the trendy crap...i mean the funky style that Flea puts into their songs. Basically...i want this to be the last time i EVER buy a bass. And i want the bass to cut through any mix.

oh yeah...anyone know of any places in L.A. (Ca.) where they sell L-2000s, cuz Guitar Center and Sam Ash dont' carry those basses. I heard though that the Mesa Boogie store right across from Guitar Center on Sunset carries G & L basses.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  16. Nino?...what's your say?
  17. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    trust me go with the GL I was in your shoes once and bought a stingray. But I've seen the light and now getting my L-2000 you'll love it.
  18. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I was just at the Guitar Center on Sunset and Fairfax last week and they didn't have any G&L basses. I
  19. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    Another G&L stingray question.i presently own both guitars.i also owned a sterling that i bought new.first i bought the sterling i giged with it for two weeks.spotted a stingray anniversary bass sold the sterling to buy the stingray.then i tried the G&L ASAT. bought one resold it and then custom ordered an ASAT.the G&L hands down beats the stingray for versatility.i now never even play my stingray.you can not go wrong with the L2000 for playing many types of music.but play both guitars i tried the L2000 but did not like the neck.but you can custom order this with the #6 neck close to a jazz neck.i got mine from buffalo bros tim is a great guy to deal with.plus he goes to the G&L factory quite often.i even have a picture of george fullerton holding my guitar as it was just finished.also if anybody is looking to buy an anniversary model stingray i am selling mine.contact me at tbreuer@primelink1.net excellent plus condition quilt maple top special case.
  20. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    One of my L-2000's has a #6 neck, I play that one the most.