G&L L-2000 tribute : battery drain ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christophe C, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    Hello
    If switched in passive mode, will there be a a battery drain when the jack is plugged ?
    I assume "no" but I'd like to be sure.
    Thank you

2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    The only way to be sure is to try out out. Should be fine though.

3. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    I believe it may still drain, I always unplug just to be certain the battery is disconnected.

4. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    (edited because I was wrong)

When the switch is passive, it breaks the circuit on the PC board output to the output jack. The battery will still leak some energy to ground because the ground and negative on the battery are linked.

This part I learned from reading today, until the 90s leaving the bass unplugged didn't break the circuit and the battery would drain even when unplugged because they used mono instead of stereo jacks.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  5. Asat77

Asat77

Apr 29, 2015
    If you don't unplug the bass, your battery will be empty very soon… If you only play passive, just take off the battery, that's what I did.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You can always remove the battery.
    Some people play without them.

7. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    Thank you for the answers.
    I want to play with the active setting. I am used to let my passive PJ bass plugged and I wondered if I could do the same with the G&L if I switch it in passive mode. From what I read, There's a bit of Yes and No :)
    I will take the habit to unplug it, then.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The battery will drain if left plugged in. The no is wrong.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021