Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-2000 versus Lakland Skyline 44-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kesagape, Jan 6, 2004.

Which is more versatile and why?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2004.
  1. Lakland Skyline 44-02

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. G&L L-2000

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Versatility Comparison

Both of these basses are well known for their versatility. How do they stack up against each other? First thoughts/impressions would be that the L-2000 may be more vintage/traditional versatility (precision/jazz/stingray sounds), while the 44-02 more modern sound versatility.

I was wondering what was the opinions, thoughts, or comments of those who have played both. Looking more for commentary versus debate, but I would be interested in folk's preference if they could only have one or the other and why?

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have owned both. The Lakland was more polite sounding and more modern (though lacking thump). The G&L is more ballsy and really stands out in a mix. My choice by far was the L2000 (I've owned 2 of them through the years and I sold my last one because I bought a Wal).
    They both kind of sound like themselves. The L2000 has a much "hotter" signal. The Lakland 4402 was the final bass that put me into not liking Bartolini pickups.

3. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I've been thinking of getting a 44-02 as a backup to my L-2000, but I just can't decide what I want... I'd thought of getting another L-2000, but there's no point in doubling up. I can't get over how much I love my L-2000.

What does the Wal do for you? Did it make your L-2000 totally unnecessary?

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Get an ASAT!

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC

the wal is remotely similar to the L2000 with the powerful hot double humbucker tone, but the Wal is a little cleaner sounding and has more mid-range presence. Also my main L2000 was a 1982 mahogany model that had killer tone but my back could not take the 12 pounds for a long period of time (or else I would have kept the '82 L2000 as well as the Wal)...plus I have also become a wal-nut.

for other reference my 2nd bass (arriving tomorrow) is the dudepit ltd ed Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn with J-retro, but that is a very different bass than the 4402

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want a bass that does a decent J bass tone, and a passable Stingray tone, get the Lakland. If you want a bass that does a better J bass tone, a much better Stingray tone, a P bass tone, and a bunch of other stuff, get the G&L.

7. Wow no luvin for the skylines here

8. embellisher

They are nice basses, I just don't like the 02 Bart pickups. That MM looking pickup sounds nothing like a MM to me. Now an 02 with the Basslines option, that would be sweet!

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've never played a Skyline so..

[​IMG]

:D

10. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on that dudepit joe osbourne. I played a regular one over the holidays and really liked it.

11. Chris S.

Chris S.

Nov 4, 2000
    I've got two G&L L-2000s, one fretted (with a #6 J-sized neck) and one fretless. Between the ceramic magnet MFD pickups and the highly intuitive (read: "user friendly") tone controls and active/passive electronics, the G&Ls offer a greater variety of <i>usable</i> tones than any other bass I've owned or tried. They just pretty much kick butt in almost any musical setting.

And yes, same electronics in the ASAT basses, although I've heard they're prone to neck dive. – CS

12. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I really liked the 44-02 I used to have. I like my warwick better, but thats for another thread.

I just found the G&L to be too hot. The lakland can get balsy, but it can also be polite. I really liked the bart system in there too.

FWIW...I really liked the fit & finish of the G&L. Very well built.

13. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    MFD humbuckers (G&L) are definitely hot.
    Many people (myself included) remedy this by dropping the pickups all the way down (remove springs under if need be.) Your output is still high enough to rival other basses, you still have a thumbrest (pickups are kinda "stepped"), and you have more room for slap (if that's something you need.)

Also... don't be afraid to back off on the treble and bass knobs. These are CUT ONLY folks, you don't have to dime 'em like people like to do on other basses.

A G&L bass is a different animal, & playing one means spending a little time to familiarize yourself with it. Now that I have, I'll not be without a G&L in the future.

Oh, and I recently got my hands on an '81 L-2000e. This thing smokes... it's my new #1 player.

-Mike

14. hey guys, couple of question for you G and L guys. First, do these G and L's maintain cut and presence in a band setting? Second, do they come in a wider spaced five? All the fives I've seen have been somewhat narrowly spaced at the bridge.

15. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Can't help you with the fiver question, but G&L's are known for their ability to cut through the mix, among other things.

16. embellisher

As Mike said, they are known for their ability to cut through.

As far as string spacing on the fives, they only come in the spacing you have seen in stores. I wish that they had a 19mm option.

17. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Quit trashing my Skylines!

First of all, I have played both and I own a 44-02. I could have bought the G&L, but I didn't.

I love the Laklands. They are more versatile than any other bass on the market. IMO, this bass easily matches up to J-Basses (better than the American J-Bass, this thing can sound a lot like the Marcus Miller Jazz Bass if you know how to equalize), Stingrays and Sterlings, Flea Basses, and others.

If you're saying I can't get thump out of my bass, than you're an idiot, a jerk, and a hamburger train, mate. I can get something out of my bass which you can't get out of a G&L period, variety in tone.

All the G&L Basses are good at are those basslines where you want that extremely ballsy tone. That's it. You can't a delicate or an even semi-not THUMPTHUMPTHUMP bassline out of one of those.

Actually, G&L's are quite good and I am just taking personal offense for Dan Lakin. But know this: Lakland basses ending in 4 have more versatility than any other bass out there. Period. They get really good thump too. Not as good thump as the G&L, but the Lakland is much much better in everything else except for thump.

18. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I love my L2Ks. They are extremely versatile, extremely well made, and relatively inexpensive considering they are hand made in the U.S.

I cannot speak to how they differ from the Laklands as I have not played any, but you can't go wrong with a G&L.

This is just plain wrong. I can and do get beautiful tones out of both my L2Ks. Especially with my fretless.

Cheers,
    Chris

[​IMG]

19. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Not quite sure who you're talking about trashing your Lakland - all I see is favorable opinions by G&L fans. I like Laklands alot myself, but I prefer G&L's.

And as mentioned above, you're statements about a G&L being unable to get anything but a THUMP is just silly and unfounded. Play what you want.

20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I hope Leo comes and haunts you in your sleep :spit:

:D