1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L-2000 versus Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Okay...both look awesome to me. I want to buy them but can only afford one.

I need my fellow TBers help here. Please voice your opinions and/or experience. Thanks.

2. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    I would go with the G&L. They are more versitile and are built like tanks.

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    More indie kids will want to have sex with you if you get the Ric.

4. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    G&L, I've had some awful experiences w/ Rickenbacker.

5. G&L hands down !! had both, ric was great but the l2000 just was better for me.

6. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    The G&L for the win, far better build quality and much more versatility.

Here's mine.:)
    P1000691.
    P1000699.

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    If you really want the Ric sound, you have to go Ric. If you're just looking for a great bass, the G&L is a better deal and much less chance of getting a lemon.

8. I would personally go for a ric, the L2000 has far to many switches and knobs, and in my opinion doesnt sound as good as a ric.
    The ric is probably not as versatile, it has one sound but its a good sounding sound! The L2000 can do a lot but not that well IMO....

Keep in mind i dont have anything against G&L, my SB2 is one of my favorite basses, i just dont like the L2000!

9. I completely disagree about the "build quality" statement, but agree about the versatility.

10. I agree. I went with bolt-on, Fender-style basses for a long time before realizing my Ric sounds more beautiful than all of them, including a great sounding Epi Ripper that I installed an MFD in(you can laugh, but it's one of the best bolt ons I have heard acoustically).
    My diagnosis: I don't like bolt-on basses as much.

A few months ago, after playing multiple basses for my sister, who wants to learn, I picked up my Ric, and made up a riff. With no "musician" experience, she said "Wow, that one sounds beautiful".

Try them both, and as many people say, Rics can sound really bad in the wrong hands - they are harder to "dial-in" than a G&L, but they shine once they are.

11. theavondon

theavondon

May 11, 2009
    Town
    Couldn't you buy like two L-2000s for the price of one Ric?

12. Yep, the Korean-made Tributes.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    This would be a no-brainer for me, since I already own 2 great Ric's, and G&L's are also great instruments. BUT, if I didn't own a Ric, I'd be looking for one immediately. And, Ric's build quality is top notch, aside from the rare "lemon", which ANY maker can slip up with. You really need to play both before deciding.

14. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    i'll be going USA all the way.

What does one mean by having to dial in the "Ric" sound?

Also, neck stability. I know the Ric is neck thru and G&L is bolt on. Anyone have problems with either necks?

15. Yeah, this is kind of a mystery to me as well. I own three Rics, the electronics are about as simple and straight forward as a Fender Jazz (assuming you're not going to go all "Ric-O-Sound" on us). You're kind of limited in your dialing potential there. Get the strings on it you like, decide on more neck, more bridge, or equal amounts of both, and you're off to the races.

The necks on all three of my Rics are so stable. The dual rods are not that difficult to work with. You just need to take two relief measurements, one on the bass side, one on the treble side. My rods adjusted effortlessly and I got the necks perfectly adjusted in no time. Easy as pie.

If you like that tone and want it, Ric is the way to go. I would never be without one in my stable. G&L, more versatile obviously.

16. The newer Rics have thicker necks than some of the old ones, and with the dual truss system, they are very adjustable. I haven't adjusted mine in forever, and I live in Florida. Very stable neck on my '03 4003.

As for "dialing in" the sounds, I tend to boost hi-mids with my Ric, compared to my Fender-style basses. It cuts through better that way, and unlike the bolt-ons, it never has that "nasal" quality that they tend to have.

It seems the bolt-ons have boosted mids already(bolt-ons tend to have more perceived low and hi-mids, whereas neck-thoughs have more highs and lows), whereas my Ric sounds more natural, and I have to boost the hi-mids to bring out its aggressive attack. once it does though, you can clearly hear the difference.:)

17. In my opinion Rics arent as plug and play as fenders... I think you can plug a good jazz bass in pretty much any amp and sound decent in a band situation without much EQing.
    It took me a few days to understand how to get a good band sound with my Ric, it also need more EQ.
    I usually play my jazz bass mostly flat in my walkabout 12 but i use the para EQ with the ric

18. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Ric necks are stupid stable.

Dialing in 'the' Ric tone is kind of a misnomer. Do you prefer McCartney, Lemmy, Geddy, Chris, Lynott, CS&N, Wolstenholme...? Lot of stuff you can get out of them. Try both before you buy. Whichever speaks to you should be the route you take. Have you also considered the HH Stingrays too?

19. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    g and l all the way. rics are way over rated and over priced

20. Ironically, my Tribute so completely replaced my 4001 that I sold the Ric. Can you get 2 US L2K's for the price of a Rickenbacker? No. You can, however, pretty much load one up on options and come out the same. You may choose from 44 (that's correct) different finishes (23 at no charge), 4 different neck profiles, 5 different fingerboards (including the 2 fretless options), the neck finish and/or tint, neck/body binding, regular, flame or quilted maple top, etc, etc, etc. You get the idea.

I read this a lot here. Surely it can't be that hard.

Rickenbacker: 4 knobs, 1 switch
    L-2000: 3 knobs, 3 switches

OP: they don't sound alike in the least. If you want the rickenbacker sound, you're going to have to go that route. If you're not married to it, the G&L is a very good bass that offers great bang for the buck.

Mike