1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L-2000 versus Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Rickenbacker. Don't believe people that only think you can get one tone from it, if you want bassy the neck pickup and flats sounds plenty deep.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    They are such diff instruments that you should be able to decide based on sound pref and playability.

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That's a BINGO!

4. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007
    Both are great basses

The Ric isn't the most "convenient" of instruments...
    Intonation via the stock bridge is a PITA.
    Stock, the Ric single coils pickup a LOT of EM noise/hash.
    Both of these situations can be dealt with... but I'd make sure you really like the Ric sound/feel before spending $1900.

A US G&L L2000 is considerably less expensive... and the build quality is excellent. Stock, the L2000 is extremely versatile... and sounds good... but was missing something (for me).
    That was until I heard the MFD Pups in single-coil mode (outer coils). Now that's a killer bass sound!
    Imagine a 70s J tone with tons of growl and character in the mids. Single coil mode also sounds great with the neck or bridge pickup solo'd.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    you could by 2 *used* G&L's for the price of a single used Ric...

6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Not if you buy used.

A used Ric 4003 will run you, on average, $1,400.

A used G&L L-2000 will run, on average, $700

Buy a used G&L. It's a no brainer.

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Guitar Center on-line has a nice used US made G&L L-2000 for $600.

8. Well, those are two very different basses in almost every way. The G&L obviously has pretty deep roots in the fender family, and the Rick is, well, a Rick. The Rick is a pretty unique instrument and tends to polarize opinions around here. I have a jetglo 4003 and I love it for a lot of the same reasons people hate it. Some of the qualities the Rick has aren't as tangible as say the G&L however they are specific to that bass. The G&L on the other hand does just about everything in the fender/musicman group of basses and does it very well. My Rickenbacker for lack of a better term felt awkward, and pretty uncomfortable. Lots of sharp edges, very unfender-like neck profile, noisy pickups, goofy plastic pickup cover that once taken off leaves a gaping, razor edged hole in your bass. And still I love my Rick. Why? Because nothing else is a Rick. Maybe I've just bought the hype, I don't know. I play my 4003 almost compusively, moreso than any other bass I've owned. The G&L, while an excellent instrument seems to me kind of average I guess.:meh:

9. Ricky FTW

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Have owned several of each. Which is still in the stable? L2000.....

11. Now that I think about it, you are right. I'd say it's only a no-brainer when it comes to price, though.

Since we are talking about two distinct and quality instruments, I'd say the OP is back at square one, haha.

Medford did list Chris Squire as one of his three influences, though.

One of those two instruments definitely CAN'T get that sound.

12. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    I've had both. I still have the G&L.

13. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    G&L. It'll let you sound like YOU. The Ric wants you to sound like IT.

14. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I couldn't disagree more. The L-2000 can do a decent job at several sounds but it also has a few that it does better than (almost) any other bass.

15. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Thank you everyone for your input and experience. I think the best advice I'll follow it play both and make the call!

Thanks again to all

16. stingray68

stingray68

Dec 19, 2007
    Hey smemm
    "goofy plastic pickup cover that once taken off leaves a gaping"

There's a cool fix for this.
    www.tubeampology.com

17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Well this is a familiar topic to me. I traded a jazz bass plus cash to get a mint condition Ric 4003 and was totally stoked to get it. Looked great and sounded really good, but I couldnt get "that tone" I heard when I saw others playing Rics (both famous people like Geddy & Squire, and not-famous people I saw on youtube) I had never played a Ric before getting this one and from what Ive heard from others, thought they all pretty much had an "inherit" tone about them.

I still played it and dont get me wrong, it sounded good. Then I bought a used G&L L2500 tribute and started playing it with the band. It made the band sound better. It was more powerful and I could get a wide range of tones from it (and Im not a fiddler, I like things simple). The G&L made me think about selling the Ric, then I did (for a nice little profit I might add lol) I then bought a new G&L L2000 Tribute and dropped an ACG preamp into but thats another story.

So maybe it was just that, like other manufacturers, each Ric can have a slightly different tone and I had one that sounded more like a Jazz bass, I dunno (not to go off topic but, has anyone else here had that experience?) But Im much happier with my G&Ls at this point. Wouldnt mind getting a killer Rickenfaker at some point though....

18. This is true of any bass. With a Ric, in order to get "that tone," whether that refers to Squire, Lee, McCartney, or someone else, you have to study the individual bassist and what he did to modify or personalize the bass. These guys do everything from string choices to bridge choices to pickup/electronics mods to foam mutes, and let's not forget about the "Ric-O-Sound" option.

Even if you nail the details, then you'd have to develop the same touch and playing style as the player you're trying to emulate.

It's never as simple as plug-and-play when you have a certain tone in your head that you're trying to achieve.

19. Actually the newer ones post-2006 have thinner necks. My 4003 is a model year 2008 and the neck is thin and flat all the way up the neck.

20. I own both. I'd go with the G&L since I know nothing about you or the sound you want. The G&L is more versatile, more comfortable, and sounds great.
    The Ric looks awesome and has a great tone if it's the one you need.