1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L-2000 versus Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Apr 14, 2010.

1. That's your answer, play both. I actually did and bought both. I use each (and the other basses I have) depending on the song or style of music we're doing.

I will say this, that if you want a warm growly tone nothing growls like a Ric. If you want a more Fenderish tone, but with more edge and power, that's the L-2000. I wanted both.

2. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    :D Nice.

It's hard to say which is the right choice for you. I personally feel more at home on any G&L over Ric. Rics never feel "just right" to me. OTOH sometimes I think the Ric tone is richer. G&L tone is inherently like a sledge hammer but it can speak softly as well. I am biased toward G&L so if I only had to pick one I would say L2000.

3. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    There is no contest here.
    Lemmy. Cliff Burton. Roger Glover. Chris Squier. Geddy Lee. Chris Wolthenstone. Roger Waters. John Entwistle. Glenn Hughes. Geezer Butler. Glen Matlock. Mani. Leon Wilkerson.
    Need I say any more?

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    This is the correct answer. I have a bunch of basses and the L2000 and Ric are my top dogs. :D

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Add to the List Paul McCartney, Paul d'Amour, but this is really kind of a moot point.

Sure the Ric worked will for these guys,...will it work well for Medford?

Of all these I think only Lemmy used a Ric exclusively.

6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    You could mention that most of those players moved on to other brands.

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Lemmy played a Thunderbird for a while, so one can't even use him as an example.

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Exactly and either way I don't think that you should base your decision on what basses a famous person played,...you should base it on how many indie kids will want to sleep with you and clearly the choice is Rickenbaker.

9. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    Spoken like a Wise Man

10. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I just got off the line with a G&L dealer. I think that's the way I'm going. But I heading over there tomorrow to try one out. I like the options I can get and still keep the price low.
    I play in a cover band and I definitely need a versatile bass for the different types of muscis the band performs. Plus, I like having active controls but I really like the option of going passive the need arises.
    I do have a question though. The dealler told me the L-2000 ships with a 1 5/8" neck width. The G&L website says 1 3/4".
    Anyone know for sure? Of course, I like the option of getting a 1 1/2" neck width if I want. Plus, 23 color choices at no additional cost.

11. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007
    If you like the single coil sound...
    Make sure to either order... or have a local luthier change the parallel position (switch) to single-coil (outer coils).
    This gives you the humbuckers in serial (huge/fat) and the single-coil option which takes you into J and P territory.
    I liked my US L2000 without this small wiring mod.
    I absolutely love it now.

I'm actually thinking about getting another L2000 and having the luthier wire is solely for single coil operation (switchable outer coils and inner coils). Might even have him use a stacked volume pot (to allow blending of each pickup's level like J bass).

If I were ordering a new L2000, the only thing I'd change is the nut width. Mine is 1.75"... which is fine... but I think I'd like the 1.5" option even better.

12. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    I had a Ric for 2 days and traded it,What a bunch of hype for that bass....

13. That's like saying the P bass wants you to sound like it.

Listen to Modest Mouse's "Moon and Antarctica" album, then listen to "Red Barchetta" by Rush. Then, put in Tool's "Undertow" album.

Then, play some Beatles. Then early Yes.

Like the G&L, they impart a certain character of the brand's tone, but sound worlds apart from each other.

14. I did the same thing with a Musicman Stingray and a Fender Jazz.

They weren't for me.

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I like Rics and will probably get one--maybe as soon as this year. But I don't get why people bring up Entwistle when they make these lists (you're not the first). I think he played a Ric for about five minutes. And Geezer and Waters have played P basses for much, much longer.

16. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    I can't stress this enough, and it's been mentioned several times, but if you're going to order a custom L2000, GET THE SINGLE COIL OPTION! The result is Jazz/P/MM tone all in one bass -- both active and passive. Also I really like the Jazz width (1.5" nut) necks on both of these.

I've never owned a Ric because I just couldn't justify paying the price for something that looks cool but didn't really impress me. I have two incredible G&L's (1 used, 1 new) for the price of one Ric, and at this point I can nail down pretty much any sound I've ever wanted. Unless you know you want the Ric sound, go for the Tookay.

IMG_0470.
    L2000 & ASAT Semi-hollow

17. Nope!

18. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    G&L's number 8 neck (1 1/2 w/ 12" radius) is the best profile for a bass neck in the history of the universe...unless you want the number 6 neck (1 1/2 inch with 7.5" radius). Some may call this "opinion" but they'd be wrong...IT'S A FACT! :mad:

:D

19. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    My faves are the #7 and #10 (5 string) necks, oh so comfortable.

20. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    Stingrays are the way to go for me and HH will fit any bill perfectly but you did not have the cool:cool: Rickenbacker factor. Rick are the most cool looking bass out there... just before the Stingray.