G&L L-2000 vs. Fender American Deluxe Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Mar 4, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I've owned my G&L L-2000 now for a couple of years and it has been a great instrument. Right now I'm looking at getting a Fender American Deluxe Jazz and I'm wondering if this bass is possibly better than my G&L. I've never really liked the thick neck on my G&L so I'm thinking the Jazz would be better playability-wise. It also seems that the Jazz would be more versatile with its 3-band EQ vs. the G&L's 2-band EQ. Also, the Jazz has a pickup blend know vs. the selector switch on my G&L.

Everyone praises the L-2000 on how it cop a Precision, Jazz, MusicMan, etc., but to my ears, I don't think the L-2000 sounds exactly like either of them. I already have 2 Precisions and my G&L doesn't sound like either. I'd love to have the Jazz sound in my arsenal as well so I'm thinking that I might sell the G&L if I already have the Precision and Jazz basses already.

Anybody here have both or compared the two? Which do you think is better is terms of playability, versatility, and overall craftsmanship? Pricewise they're similar. Thanks!
  2. Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I ordered my G&L L-2000 with a thin "Jazz style" neck. (I think it's called a #8 neck) That solved that problem! It's still the best bass I've played...including Foderas and Ken Smiths and Fenders. See if you can order out a new neck from G&L as a replacement. You'll be amazed!
  3. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Any other opinions out there?
  4. I have not touched a Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass, so I have nothing to say about that...

The G&L L2000 is a very versatile bass, so I say keep it and sell one of your P's to get a J. Then you have more tone options. :D
  5. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Definately the fender MIA Jazz deluxe I went through the same dilema and in the end I played both basses and the jazz put the g&l to shame!
  6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Sorry, no experience with G&L. I do have an AmDlx Jazz (2002, 18volt) and it is one fine bass. Great neck, no dead spots, lotsa tones, modest weight, looks great. These basses seem to be gaining respect lately. Of course, the G&L basses have a fine reputation as well. Good luck! :)
  7. Good Topic! I use both of these. Each has it's own voice. On some nights one bass works in a room better than the other. My L2000 has the # 6 nech so they feel the same except the G&L weighs a liitle more.
    Trying to decide on my next bass. Maybe a lakland? A JO with the J-retro pre sounds tempting.
  8. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    As an L-2000 owner, I know which one I'd pick... I prefer the tonal flexibility of the L-2000. It doesn't cop a Jazz or a P or a stingray exactly, but it does have such a wide variation of tones, that I've never had a problem tailoring my sound to a room.

Really though, only you know which bass is more appropriate for you and your music.