1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L-2000 vs L-2000 Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T-Forty, Sep 24, 2008.

1. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I can see on the G&L site that there are a lot of major differences between these two basses, but does anyone here have experience playing both? Are there major differences in the sound and tone? The necksare the same, so I assume they play identically..

Thanks

2. G&L gives like 10 different neck options for their US made instrument. Plus a ton of other finishes.

The electronics between the tribute and the US are the same though. Of course there is going to be the usual build quality and wood selection difference as with most US vs foreign instruments..

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Spend some time bouncing around and reading in the the TB G&L Forum. These answers, and more, are waiting for you. :)

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've had both. The Tribute is a fine mass-produced mid-quality axe. The US is just nicer. You get what you pay for...

The tributes can be had pretty cheap on ebay. I'm about to list mine.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've had a couple of both. My main 5'er is an Indonesian built L2500 Tribute. I love it. A fantastic bass to play, easy to setup - mine is setup E through C - not the typical 5 but it played fine B through G as well.... I also replaced the pre in mine - not necessary at all but - The Audere 3ZB in there now loves the MFD humbuckers. It is just an amazing sounding, playing bass. (It just ran a Lakland 55-01 with Nord Big Split's out of the house...). The G&L pre is kinda of rudimentary but a lot of folks really like it - a lot - like almost fanatically... so I'm in the minority there for sure!

The biggest difference in feel is that the Trib's use smaller and probably softer fret wire. Eventually I expect it will need a refret before a MIA version would. I also expect that to be years down the road. I prefer the smaller sized fret wire. The MIA stuff feels like railroad ties to me. When I restrung, I cut a new nut and did a minor roll on the fingerboard edges. Not a big deal but it just gives the bass a dialed in feel. To be fair - I do that with almost every bass that I get my hands on. New nut, fret dress, re-string with TI's (usually) and a new nut cut exactly right... I do have access to a great luthier who doesn't charge a lot so I can have a bass dialed exactly the way I want it for relative peanuts. I'd be nutz not to do that ...

Fit and finish on mine is on par with any of the MIA G&L's I've had except for one. A trans orange on Ash, wood binding option JB-2 that I had was one of the best finished basses I've ever held. Sadly it didn't play nearly as good as it looked. Not bad, but not spectacular... and it truly looked spectacular.

Speaking of finish - with the Tributes you really want to go with a trans finish. That get's you Mahogany (?sp) or Ash. The solid finishes are Basswood or ???. The solid finished Trib SB-2 I had was too dark, almost muddy in the low end. Not enough punch for me. I'll opt for the trans / premium finished Tribute bass for that reason.

So - the beauty of the Tribute ? I can own 2, in differnet flavors for the price of 1 MIA. They can be dialed in for my preferences and I'm still ahead of the game. Mechancally they are more than just sound - they are really well contructed and totally worthy of a fairly expensive mod - as you can tell - I'm a fan.

6. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    4mal that was a fantastic review. Thanks a lot!

I'd definitely go with a trans finish. I love the 3-tone burst.

7. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    I have a solid finish L2K tribby, and i think there's actually a benefit to the basswood. Yes, it is a bit darker, but it also tames things down just enough that the Active w/ treb boost doesn't completely rip one's face off. And even with the basswood, it's still an agressive instrument.

As far some other Tribby vs. USA features:
    -Fret differences that 4Mal mentioned
    -USA's have quartersawn (is that the right word?) necks, Tribbys don't.
    -Tribbys use MightyMite pots, and are wired up slightly differently (though the functionality of the pots & switches are the same as the USA)

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Also, the trussrod system in a US G&L is totally different.
    From the G&L page:

G&L's latest neck construction is the result of intensive research and development, using our latest Computer Aided Design (CAD) efforts, Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) technology, special diagnostic functions of our Plek machine, and of course, the skilled hands and ears of our craftsmen.

Our latest construction methodology uses a one piece neck blank with the truss rod installed underneath the fingerboard. In the case of an all-maple neck, a layer of the maple neck blank is sliced off, and this slice becomes the fingerboard, ensuring a consistent appearance of a solid, one-piece maple neck.

Truss rod technology has evolved over the years, and G&L has carefully studied design options before finalizing its latest design. This contemporary design incorporates a secondary, flat-sided rod which bows away from primary rod. Unlike a vintage truss rod, this design does not compress the neck longitudinally in order to function; compression contributes to distortion of the fingerboard curvature. Operation is both fluid and accurate with the articulation of the neck, the "relief", being very consistent across the length of the neck. Unlike similar rods available today, G&L's rod has an additional anchor for the heel end of the neck, to help ensure long-term stability and ensure that the rod will never shear through the adjustment end of the neck. Finally, the channel for the rod is also carefully designed to provide a snug fit for the rod while ensuring free and complete articulation.