G&L L-2000 vs. Lakland Skyline 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Jul 15, 2002.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I'm looking to get a new bass, and I like the sound of the Stingray, but want a little more versatility. I also like smaller bodies and thinner necks. I was playing a Sterling at Guitar Center today and a couple days ago and I love how it plays, but I'm not sure the sound is exactly what I want. So I'm in a bit of a dilemma... I've played a 5 string Skyline at a store but they didn't have any 4's (I guess they just came out) but I really liked how it sounded. I've played G&L L-2000's before that I really liked, but they weren't really set up right and were played through amps that didn't compare to mine, so I'm not sure how they'd be through my amp and properly set up (the action was way to high). So, I'm just looking to get your opinion... I want to spend like $500-$700 (used) and want to get something more versatile than a Sterling that has a neck similar to it thats well built. Would you go with a Skyline 4 string or an L-2000?

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    You must take into account that though the fact that the skyline is made overseas doesn't mean construction is inferrior, it is less... careful G&Ls are hand routed, sanded, neck profiles done by hand, and the finishes (not solid colours) rock!

Both good basses, but I like the G&L a LOT more.
  3. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i like the skylines more, but i seriously doubt you'll be able to find a used 4-stringer this soon.
  4. I have yet to see a really well made G&L, and I sell the things!! Uneven fret work, wood cracking in the cavity, messy wiring, sloppy finish on the bridge, and those dumb wooden plugs filling the mounting holes for the router.
    I believe that Skylines are made in the corTek factory, but hand finished and set up in Lakland's Chicago shop. Knowing Lakland's reputation as a premier builder, I know which one I'd have, and it does'nt start with a G.
  5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, while not every G&L bass that I have played has been a winner, most were of the highest quality. I am not a fan of the New G&L's, but if you are looking for a used one yu should be able to find one right in your price range. The late 80's and early 90's are among the best G&L's IMO. I would also look for used Sterlings too. You may want to give them another chance as well. As for the Skylines....I had one for three days and took it back and got a Stingray 5.
  6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    You might consider a Peavey Millennium, which is a more than worthy competitor to the basses you're looking at.
  7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Mines the exception to everything you say then: Best fretwork on anything I've played, no cracking or sloppyness in the cavity, no problems w/bridge finish... Everything is great. The only thing better is even more time spent working on an instrument by hand (i.e. Sadowski, Wal, etc).

I don't know about different eras (the 3 bolt neck, and unpleasent 5str headstock steered me away from 80s--90s G&Ls) but your experiences are similar to mine, I've loved all that I've played.
  8. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    My friend has an early 80's G&L that plays real nice but I've never gotten to play it through an amp so I'm not sure how the electronics sound. The newer one's I've played have been hit and miss with playability, looks, and electronics. I love how the Sterling plays, but I'd want to add another pickup in there which would ruin any value it had (wouldn't it?). Laklands look really nice and sound great but I don't think I could afford a new one... I'd rather have 2 $600 instruments than just one $1200 instrument...

So I guess the big question is, how much do used Sterlings go for, and how much would mod'ing it to have another pickup degregate its value?

9. takemusu

May 6, 2002
    Just wondering if anyone else has any opinions on the original question. The two basses in question are the final objects of my desire, and I need a decision! Thanks...
  10. Although I'm not in the market for a Sterling,an easy calculation for used gear is roughly 65% of the new price.

As far as a heavy mod, like an additional pickup is concerned, I don't know of any set depreciation. It's all really a matter of how much the seller is willing ot let it go for, and how much the buyer is willing to pay. Personally, for a used bass with a mod like that, I would pay no more than 50% of the retail price.
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The only final decseion is the one you make. IMO, if you totally count out anyother bass, you're totally limiting your options.

Either bass is really great. Personally I love G&L L-2000 & I've seen nothing but great things from then & I used to work at a store that sold them. I do agree that the the mid 80's basses are better. I also feel thet the 3 bolt neck is as stable as the newer 6 bolt neck. I have an '83 L-2000 w/a 3 bolt neck for about 8 years & I've NEVER had a problem with the neck shifting.

The Laklands are great basses also but I'm not in to the MM p/u in any configuration.
  12. I agree completely. Your chances of finding a 4 string Skyline are (slim and none) Both are great basses. You should be able to get a used G&L without much trouble.
  13. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
  14. Looks like slim just met none. I'd go for it.:)
  15. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
  16. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    I see it now at eBay for $600 opening bid and no reserve.

eBay Auction