1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L L-2000 warming up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mbernard110, Aug 15, 2012.

1. I just got a G&L L-2000 tribute used from Guitar Center, and have noticed that the output is really low right after I turn on the amp. It takes a minute or so, along with some slapping and fiddling around, to get the output where it should be. Has anyone else run into this type of problem or know what to do? I love the bass and its sound when the output is at its full potential, but I can't be dealing with this type of problem at a gig.

2. Also, I just replaced the battery and it's still taking time to warm up. I don't know if it's just because it hasn't been touched for awhile...

3. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Does it only do this with the preamp engaged, or does this happen in passive mode as well?

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Something doesn't sound right...

5. It also did it in passive mode.

6. I just had it off for a few minutes and turned it on and everything was fine. I'm gonna give it 10 minutes or so and see if it starts up properly again. I'm hoping it's just because it hasn't been getting the love it deserves.

7. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    that is not right at all! I have a L-2000 tribute it never has done that,take it back if a tech can't fix it right there get another or something else that's just me.
    I feel for you that sucks!!!

8. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Have you tried using another bass with the same amp? This sounds like something that would be much more likely to be an amp issue.

9. I just tried it again and it made a weird popping noise when I initially hit a note but shortly after it sounded fine. I do play through an Ampeg BA-115 which is fairly old and has been rattling a bit. I'll give it a few minutes then try the L-2000 in my little Fender practice amp, and my passive P-bass in the Ampeg and see if there's any difference. I don't know if it is just a coincidence that the amp is having trouble right after I get a new bass, or what, but this has never happened with my P-bass and the Ampeg.

10. No problems in the practice amp, or with the Ampeg/P-bass. Maybe my amp just isn't used to being played through with a bass with such high output.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Something's not right there.
    Have you had this issue, with your amp, with other basses?

If not, then, it's likely your bass.
    The output jacks on those are known wear points, and need replaced every few years of use. A bad connection there could do this.

12. My amp has been buzzing more often recently, but it has never had a low output problem or needed time to warm up like it did. The amp did get some work done about a year ago; it was resurrected and had the plug replaced, but has not had any problems since besides the buzzing getting slightly louder over time. It does seem more like an amp problem, but I have tried it again with the L2000 plugged into it and it is sounding fine. Should I take it back to GC just to see if they'd give the bass a tune up?

13. Tried it again, it buzzed oddly with the L2k in it, then I tried the L2k in another amp and it worked fine. I plugged the P-bass into the Ampeg and it sounded alright, then put the L2k into it and it sounded alright. So I'm pretty much just confused now.

14. MontzterMash

MontzterMash Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I suspect an intermittent circuit break, like a barely broken wire somewhere, or in one of the pots. The op amps on those basses sometimes need replacing too.

On something that actually gets warm in the "warming up" as the metal expands it closes the break and it gets better. I doubt the preamp on this gets warm at all though, so think it might be a combination of the slapping and fiddling and some luck as much as anything that gets it working.

Can you take it back? Or take it to a tech? The wiring in those (I have an L2000 too) is a bit of a mess, but it's a mess of easy-to-replace simple parts which sound amazing when working right, so it should be fixable.

15. Yeah I just tested it again on my practice amp and it is definitely the bass. I just got it shipped to me today, so I'm gonna take it to my local GC and hopefully they will fix it fo free! Thanks for all the help peeps!

16. Replace the output jack. Instructions to replace the barrel jack are here. If it's on a jack plate, it's easy.

Then be sure you're not over driving the input of the Ampeg (turn the L-2000's volume down).

Goodness should abound.

Ken...

17. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    This reminds me, I think I saw that you replaced the barrel jack on one of your G&Ls with one of the football jack plates. The jack on my L2500 is starting to get a bit wonky, and I'm wondering how that's working out for you.

I'm just slightly worried about taking a drill to my favorite bass. :D

18. I took it to GC, and the guitar tech wiggled some wires around and determined that it was one of the wires being too close/touching the shielding, so he adjusted it and it seems to be working fine. Thanks for all the tips and advice!!