Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-2000: which neck option?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fresnorich, Nov 21, 2003.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Ok, here's my dilema. I've narrowed my choice for my next bass down to either a MM Sterling or a G&L L-2000. My current bass is the Fender Sting bass. I love the neck on this bass (P-bass). I've also fallen in love with the Sterling neck; although it is not as wide as my P-bass, it feels great in my hand. I'm dying to get my hands on a G&L so that I can compare, but I'm having a hard time finding one here in the Central Valley (CA).
    I'm just a beginner, but I feel that I'm more of a P-bass kind of guy, rather than a Jazzer. I'm starting to look around on Ebay for a good deal and I've noticed that most L-2000's seem to have the slimmer neck option (Jazz). Is this really the more popular neck on this bass, or are the people with the wider neck L-2000's just hanging on to them? I know the Tributes are only offered with the wider neck. So which is better?

2. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Here are the various neck options for the L-2000:

#5 7.5" radius 1 3/4 width at nut
    #6 7.5" radius 1.5 width at nut
    #7 12" radius 1 3/4 width at nut
    #8 12" radius 1/5 width at nut

So my next question is which is the better radius? I know my current (Sting) bass has the 7.5" radius, so should I just stick with that for consistancy, or is their an advantage to the flatter neck (12" radius)?

3. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Whoops! "there" not "their". Sorry if I'm being anal, but I'm an (embarrassed)English teacher.

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Actually, I think that most L2K player's go with
    the standard #7 neck, rather than the slimmmer #8
    Jazz neck.
    I can easily understand the width at the nut,
    but I never can get a handle on the radius,even
    though its been explained to me many times!

I went with the standard #8 neck provided on my ASAT,after talking with the factory during ordering.
    I told them I liked the feel of my former Sterling,and they recommended the 8 as having a similar width & radius.
    Hope that helps, the G&L Dudepit guys should be around, or you can go there for some real sound
    opinions.

5. Larry's right. Most L2k's will have a p bass style neck (1 3/4" at the nut). It's the ASATs that have the jazz style neck standard (1 1/2" at the nut).

edit: clarified the nut widths.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The #8 neck, most like a P bass, is the standard for the L2000. IIRC, you would have to custom order anything otherwise.

There's really nothing better about one or the other. I prefer flatter necks (high radius) Others like more arc.

7. Actually the #7 neck is what's standard on the L2000.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/instruments.asp?prcode=l2000

Here's the neck options.

http://www.glguitars.com/options/options.asp

12" radius, 1.75" at the nut = #7.

Also, the #8 neck, which is 1.5" at the nut, is more common for a jazz than a p bass. A p bass is more in line with the #7.

However there's a lot of Dude Pitters who prefer the #6 neck. Like me. :cool:

8. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Interesting....I've been reading several posts on
    the dudepit site that seem to indicate that the 1.5" nut width is more popular. Perhaps the people who like the thinner necks are just more vocal. Thanks for the feedback, though. I think I'm just going to have to wait until I can actually get my hands on one or two to try them out. Eventually, I'd like to own a '62 P-bass reissue, so I'm leaning towards the #5 neck (7.5" radius, 1 3/4" width at nut).

The thing is I just can't get that Sterling out of my mind. Maybe I'll have to get one of those too.

9. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

I found myself in an almost identical situation. I have only been playing for about a year and most of that time I played a P-bass. When I started shopping around for a second axe, I also was amazed at how good the Sterling neck felt. I ended up getting a G&L ASAT because the neck felt almost as nice, but the bass had a better overall tone (IMO).

Now that I have both, I realize that the neck profile really does not make that much difference. I enjoy the different feel of both necks and am glad that I have both.

The standard ASAT neck is the #8, which is quite similar to the Sterling. I believe that the #8 G&L is a 12 inch radius and the Sterling is 11, other than that they are the same. This neck can be ordered as an option on the L2000. Be aware, though, that the oiled finish of the Sterling will not be available from G&L.

G&Ls are great axes, and whatever neck you get, I'm sure you will love it.

I am still gassing for a Sterling though.;)

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Admittedly most basses produced today are going with flatter boards, 10" - 14" radius is not uncommon especially in 5- and 6-string basses. I think the biggest reason for this is pickups. The flatter the board, the easier it is for the pickups to give you an even volume across all of the strings.

On the other hand, many people find the 7.25" radius more comfortable to play. Personally, I have never played a 7.25" radius board, but it makes sense to me when you look at violins and uprights with their tight radiuses.

11. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I own an old '83 with a stock Kahler tremolo in it. It has the #5 neck and its really comfy and more round than any other I've tried. If you can get one of the older L-2000's with the front mounted control plates (like a jazz bass). Their kinda the equivalent of a pre-ernie ball or pre-cbs fender as far as feel goes. They also have the 3 bolt micro-tilt adjustment which I like alot too.;)