Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L 2000 WITH SERIES/PARALLEL OWNER?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by luknfur, Apr 18, 2005.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    To make a long story short, I'd like to know if you guys get substatially different tones with those pups ran series vs parallel. In particular, I noticed a tubular like tone from them that I wasn't too nuts about and was wondering if you noticed as much and if running them parallel knocked that out?

2. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I am a proud owner of a ASAT, and I find that there is a great difference between Series/Parallel settings. It works like a bass boost switch. I like Series for the front pickup fo a P-like tone, series or parallel for both pu's, and parallel for the rear pickup.

If you mess aroud with the heights of the pole pieces, you can get more "bite" from the pu's.

Throw on some differents strings, change the pole heights, active or passive, and changing series/parallel will get you most any tone from a G&L with 2 MFD pu's.

Edit: I forgot that you can also take the springs out from under the pu's to tame them a bit. Or you can raise all the poles for more output, IF YOU DARE!!! ;)

3. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    What he said!

Totally different between the two.

4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

If you tell us the long story, maybe someone here could tell you exactly what you need to do. Do you own one or just looking?

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Did You G&L owners With the MFD Humbuckers find any difficulty in getting used to all the dynamics of the electronics?.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    The long story is I had a pair of G&L pups and wasn't using them and was going to keep one just cause they're hard to come by and got a good price on them. So I put one up for sale but the guy was building a custom bass (pups were new condition) and really wanted a pair - so tossed them both his way. Figured more power to someone who'd use them.

I just finished running a DM Model P in parallel and it was interesting/different. Ran it in series and did't think much of it - similar in some ways yet very different tone. Historically I've been able to pull parallel tones from my amp that didn't vary enough from when I ran them series (similar to the experience in the next sentence) that I stopped messing with parallel. When I ran the G&L's, I ran them in series inner coils/outer coils/and dual HB - so singles were humbucking. Not enough difference so I pulled the switch. I never ran them parallel that I can remember - or at least didn't write in the reveiw if I did. I know some of the 2000's have a series parallel option and some don't (for some reason I had the impression maybe the earlier models were wired series/parallel and later weren't). Without really thinking I just concluded if G&L doesn't find it worthy (in conjunction with my previous experience with series/parallel), I wouldn't bother. I had been to the G&L diagram site and there were several diagrams but didn't pay any attention to the dates - or maybe it's always been an option they offered.

But I got to thinking, maybe it's different with high output pups like the Model P (and G&L's). Ever since that thought crossed my mind, I've been wondering about the G&L's in parallel.

And that's the long story and the reason for the post.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Unfortunately, the speed of this laptop, the rate of loading of the soundclips, and my age don't make for a good match. I'm not sure if it ever would load. I'll give a try next time I jump on the bass and have a look during a break.

However, the soundclips brings up another issue I could use assistance with. I'm assembling a bass tone glossary in the pup forum and I don't know squat about soundclips. We need a place TBr's can load and store 5-10 seconds clips of tones - like growl, mwah, punch, etc. cause word definitions have severe limitations when it comes to sound. The catch is, it needs to be !!!FREE!!! Got any ideas?

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think Paul may be up to allowing space for that for subscribers only. The only problem is that I don't know if 5 - 10 seconds would be enough time to really get a hang of what sound the clip is trying to get across you know?

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    LOL - just noticed your quote at the bottom of the page. Fortuitous synchronicity perhaps?

So continuing my thread of ignorance - subscriber would be a supporting member and Paul would be the dude who runs this show?

Like I say, don't know clips but in terms of time, if soundclip time is real time, 5-10 seconds should be more than enough to distinguish growl from burp from bark - at any rate, it's better than words.

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    After a few weeks I was able to dial in my favorite settings.

12. Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a quick question. Which of the G&L necks is more like a typical jazz bass? The #6 or the #8? Both have the proper nut width, it's the neck radius I'm not sure about. Thanks.

13. Chris,

The number 8 neck has the 12 inch radius.

14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea, that's what I meant..supporting member, and yes, Paul is the main guy.

Actually I think even 20 seconds or so might be the ideal, but first we'd have to mention it to paul. It'd be a good idea to put this idea in the suggestions forum.

15. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I guess it depends on what you call a "typical jazz bass" radius. Current production US jazzes have a 9.5" radius. I think (and am not sure) that vintage ones may be closer to the 7.5" radius of a G&L #6 neck - but I'm not that Fender-knowledgeable.

G&L #6 - 7.5" radius
    G&L #8 - 12" radius
    Current Fender J - 9.5" radius

You pays your money and you makes your choice . . .

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have the #8 and I like it, but I think when I put together my first DYI bass I'll go with a 10" radius.

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks, i am really impressed with the variety of tonal options availible on these basses.

18. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I would just like to add that I really like to adjust the pole pieces on my ASAT. It's amazing what a couple of adjustments can do. I can't stop messing with this bass's settings.

:bassist: