1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Mar 16, 2004.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm interested in hearing more L-2000 and had a couple of questions. I've tried one and they are a swiss army knife of tones for sure, but opinions on the following:

* Can you get authentic J tones out of it when the bridge pickup in single coil mode? E.g., IMHO, Lakland *kind* of does a J and a MM, but not quite. Is the G&L spot on with the J tones?

* Anyone compare an L-2000 with rosewood to maple? In particular, how would birdseye maple affect tone?

Thanks...

2. I have owned a few G&Ls over the years and have played a few more besides. An L-2000 has a few useful tones but an accurate 'J-tone' isn't one of them.

The L-2000/2500s I played didn't have a coil tap. I checked G&L's website and it looks like they still don't. The biggest complaint I had with the basses I owned was one the preamps were noisey and two there was no means of blending the pickups - all or nothing. I think the 'J' tone is all about carefully blending two single coil pick-ups. You can fool around with the relative heights of the pick-ups and the pole pieces but that isn't really possible 'on the fly'.

The basses are very nicely made and finished. Be prepared to take a 'beating' if you buy a new one and decide to sell it in a year or two. They don't seem to hold their value very well. With that said, lots out there used for a good price.

The Maple 'board will be much brighter than the rosewood. The rosewood boards I had were nice and mellow. The Birdseye Maple G&L uses are usually very pretty.

If you really want a G&L with the the 'J-tones', you might want to take a closer look at the JB-2. I had one of those and it was a sweet bass.

3. kamikazenasis

kamikazenasis

Jun 10, 2003
    Chicago
    It's funny, the L-2000 i played did NOT seem to be the swiss army knife of all tones..

I went over to my buddies house to record and didnt bring my gear, thus i ended up using his fathers. His father had a pretty old L-2000 (circa late 80's?) and a modded out Ibanez flying V. Well, to say the least it had a very awesome rock tone, but it didnt seem to get a variety of tones. Whether or not this bass was modded ( I wasnt so sure, mainly since I was tweakin with the Ibanez most of the time haha) to suit a more rockish scenario is highly unknown to me, other than that it was a great sounding bass!