1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Aug 23, 2005.

1. I dont know if I want one yet, but for a live sound (most notably looking for a good punch) how is this bass. Is it worth the money, what can you tell me about it. Either sell me it or talk me out of it I can find nothing about it anywhere. I play punk/emo/post hardcore and again I am looking for a good cut and punch. I recently went to a thrice concert and they had the punch any bassist would dream of (maybe it was the 16 18inch subs i was standing in front of) but all I know is I want some punch in my band. All in all, how is this bass, in all aspects...slap, rock, punch, reliablilty, playability, etc, etc...

Please help

Paw..
    -fight the system-

2. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Ok, take a P bass, a J bass, and parts of a stingray, and shove them into one large, indestructible package and that's the L-2000. It's my only bass and there's no way i'm trading, such a powerful punch, so much headroom from one battery, highest output i've ever seen! It's worth every penny so go get one! Not a boutique bass or anything, but a good, tough, punchy, and amazingly versatile bass.

You can hear (and see) mine here: http://www.purevolume.com/maluskus

all done set to passive, series, and both pickups for finger, neck for slap, through a peavey MK-III head and Ampeg 8x10.

3. Ahhh, the G&L. I've got an L-2500 ( 5 string version) and if you want growl you've got it. As above it's a beast and the variety of tones you get is fantastic plus it has an active/passive switch. I recently listened to a recording of my old ( punk/rawk) band playing a live show. I was playing my L-2500 straight through a GK-1001RB with the bridge pickup/active/parallel and god knows what with the EQ but it was beautiful throaty sound. I've owned a Zon sonus custom and I sold it before I sold my G&L ( sigh......). Highly reccomended.

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  5. yea that bass is pretty much sold. Just give me 6 months to get the money, gotta get my guitarist his gibson sg standard first....blah.

wow is this thing beautiful.

6. Tommi Jenssen

Tommi Jenssen Guest

Jun 21, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I am interested in buying a Tribute L-2000.
    I read that those basses are pretty good too (for the money anyway). Which ones have the most growl and/or punch, by the way? The ash versions or the basswood versions?

7. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I just got the ASAT (same guts as the L2K) & couldn't be happier. This thing cuts through the mix like a sword, is indestructible & can approximate many tones.
    Love, love, LOVE this bass!

8. yea, dont they have 3 switches or somethign? what do those switches do? Are they good for recording? They look beautuiful. The only thing i like better than teh ASAT is the balance. finally got to play one. i played it out of a mesa 410 cab and i wish i had both....

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    The on board pre amp is a great feature on this bass. The toggle controls are: PU selector - Series/Parallel mode- Passive/Active/Active with treble boost. It allows you access to all types of great tones right at your fingertips.

I think you'll be more than happy with a G&L L2000. I have one that been my main bass for years. I've tried a few others, but I always go back to my L2k. The tone is amazing. It's got more punch and growl than you could shake a stick at. I'm looking at getting an ASAT next.

Here are some L2k related links (you'll find a bunch if you search):

show your G&L's

L2000 clips

Good Luck! Great basses.

:bassist:

10. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004