Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Aug 23, 2005.

1. I dont know if I want one yet, but for a live sound (most notably looking for a good punch) how is this bass. Is it worth the money, what can you tell me about it. Either sell me it or talk me out of it I can find nothing about it anywhere. I play punk/emo/post hardcore and again I am looking for a good cut and punch. I recently went to a thrice concert and they had the punch any bassist would dream of (maybe it was the 16 18inch subs i was standing in front of) but all I know is I want some punch in my band. All in all, how is this bass, in all aspects...slap, rock, punch, reliablilty, playability, etc, etc...

Please help

Paw..
    -fight the system-

2. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Ok, take a P bass, a J bass, and parts of a stingray, and shove them into one large, indestructible package and that's the L-2000. It's my only bass and there's no way i'm trading, such a powerful punch, so much headroom from one battery, highest output i've ever seen! It's worth every penny so go get one! Not a boutique bass or anything, but a good, tough, punchy, and amazingly versatile bass.

You can hear (and see) mine here: http://www.purevolume.com/maluskus

all done set to passive, series, and both pickups for finger, neck for slap, through a peavey MK-III head and Ampeg 8x10.

3. Ahhh, the G&L. I've got an L-2500 ( 5 string version) and if you want growl you've got it. As above it's a beast and the variety of tones you get is fantastic plus it has an active/passive switch. I recently listened to a recording of my old ( punk/rawk) band playing a live show. I was playing my L-2500 straight through a GK-1001RB with the bridge pickup/active/parallel and god knows what with the EQ but it was beautiful throaty sound. I've owned a Zon sonus custom and I sold it before I sold my G&L ( sigh......). Highly reccomended.

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  5. yea that bass is pretty much sold. Just give me 6 months to get the money, gotta get my guitarist his gibson sg standard first....blah.

wow is this thing beautiful.

6. Tommi Jenssen

Tommi Jenssen Guest

Jun 21, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I am interested in buying a Tribute L-2000.
    I read that those basses are pretty good too (for the money anyway). Which ones have the most growl and/or punch, by the way? The ash versions or the basswood versions?

7. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I just got the ASAT (same guts as the L2K) & couldn't be happier. This thing cuts through the mix like a sword, is indestructible & can approximate many tones.
    Love, love, LOVE this bass!

8. yea, dont they have 3 switches or somethign? what do those switches do? Are they good for recording? They look beautuiful. The only thing i like better than teh ASAT is the balance. finally got to play one. i played it out of a mesa 410 cab and i wish i had both....

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    The on board pre amp is a great feature on this bass. The toggle controls are: PU selector - Series/Parallel mode- Passive/Active/Active with treble boost. It allows you access to all types of great tones right at your fingertips.

I think you'll be more than happy with a G&L L2000. I have one that been my main bass for years. I've tried a few others, but I always go back to my L2k. The tone is amazing. It's got more punch and growl than you could shake a stick at. I'm looking at getting an ASAT next.

Here are some L2k related links (you'll find a bunch if you search):

show your G&L's

L2000 clips

Good Luck! Great basses.

:bassist:

10. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004