Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Feb 26, 2002.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I'm considering getting a G&L L-2000 but I was wondering a few things... I know they are versatile, but are they easy to play or are they clunky and awkward? My Ibanez has a J-sort of neck but I find it a bit too thin and difficult to play fast and clear. What are your opinions on the L-2000?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The L-2000 is available with 1.75" and 1.5" wide necks.

3. I played a used L2000 at the local GC, and it had a very nice playing feel indeed. I really like the sturdy neck mounting system, and the MFD pickups can be switched to a variety of combinations.

It is my understanding the L2000 will not do single coil mode though. Perhaps an L2000 owner can verify this. My RB5 is very similar to the G&L in many respects, but it can do single coil mode. This is the setting I use most, and would miss it a great deal.

They offer a series of different necks, so best to check one out in person.

4. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    That is correct. The coils can be connected in series or parallel, but not split.

And as for my opinion, .....my L-2000 gets more playing time than my Stingray.

Dave

5. it really is very versatile!

i can get a really great growl out of this bass and a great slap tone.

But this bass can't do everything, it has it's limits as far as tone. But it can get a lot of tones.

Consider the G&L L-2000 as a mix between a Stingray and a Jazz Bass (MIA).