G&L L-2500 and Tribute L-2500 Owners...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Gotta a question for you lucky L-2500 owners. I've read in some reviews that if you solo the neck pickup (in series) with either the preamp on or off you can pretty much nail a P bass tone. Is this true? (God I'm hoping so since a tribute will be here on Saturday!) If it is true do you guys use the setting much for fingerstyle or pick?
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    yes I would say that will get you closest to a pbass tone. I don't use a pick but i'm sure it will sound great that way. Ever been over to the dudepit? Good G&L bass forum there.
    congrats on the bass. You'll love it.

3. What he said.....
  4. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    My bass before my G&L L-2500 was a Fender MIA P. The G&L gets pretty close on the tone, but is not as percussive sounding at the beginning of the note. Nothing does that quite like a P. The G&L made up for that one shortcoming in so many other ways however, I never looked back. It is a tonal variety monster. You should definitely be happy.
  5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

You will be very happy if you go for G&L.

I have an ASAT and have never been happier with my tone.
  6. Let us know what you think when you get it! It's been a while since I got my first G&L, so I like to relive the experience through others. :p
  7. Yeah, it sounds like a really angry P-bass, actually. My L-2500 is the most aggressive bass I've ever played. It growls, snarls, and eats its way through a mix like a chainsaw.
  8. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well...I got it on Sat but haven't had a chance to play or plug it in. I picked up from my singers house and had to take it immediately to my rehearsal room (bought on the sly ;) ).

1st impressions of the looks?....Cherryburst with maple fret board. Lots of grain in the ash and much more figuring in the Maple fb than I expected. Looks beautiful. I'll post what I think of the tones after I rehearse with the band tonight.
  9. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No doubt. Mine has guitar players running for the hills... :bassist:
  10. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Got to play last night through my gig rig. Drummer didn't show (nor did anyone else) so it was just me getting loud. Fit and finish seem top notch. The bass is MUCH lighter than I thought....at least 2lbs lighter than my poplar bodied SUB5. Now....Tone. I've never played a bass with pickups this hot. I really couldn't even use the Series selection...seemed like my speakers were going to jump out of my cab. I could probably use it with more amp tweaking. Did a truss rod adjustment and almost have it where I want it...another will be in order in a couple of days. Back to tone. The best setting I found for my style (fingerstyle rock) was neck pickup solo'ed in parallel with the preamp on (no treble boost) and the treble knob dimmed a little. This seemed to give me a very punchy "P" tone I've been looking for in a 5 string. I'm very impressed with the whole package (fit, finish, look, tone and weight). I can't wait to play it live with my band on Thursday. All in all a great import. BTW....no sharp frets. I don't have the action lowered enough yet so I don't know if there are any high frets but the no sharp frets leave me hopeful.