Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-2500 B string - need some input

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seamus, Apr 18, 2001.

1. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Hi everybody,

I have a couple L-2000's and I like them a lot. I have not been able to find a L-2500 anywhere to play with, but based on my experience with the L-2000, I would like to try the L-2500 as my second 5 stringer.

The only reason I have not bought one yet is I am wondering if the B string is nice and tight. As most people, I would like a taut B with good response, as balanced as possible when compared to the response of the other strings. I would probably put Lo Riders on it, which are a little higher on tension anyway, so that should help as well.

Since the pups and EQ are the same on both basses, I'll assume I will like the sound and playability just fine. The only thing that concerns me is whether the B is nice and tight.

Can anyone offer their impressions on this?

Thanks! :)

2. I owned an L-1505 for a while, which is just an L-2500 with only one pickup, and found the B-string to be absolutely excellent, as long as it was strung thru the body.

3. I played an L2000 and an L2500 at the same store a while ago and the 2500 sounded considerably better. Both had new strings and the same electronics so I guess it's a difference in the woods (in those particular basses). Both are great basses. I found the B on the 2500 to be pretty tight and punchy. Not bad at all.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I just sold a near mint '99 L2500 on Ebay. The B string was quite good, sort of on a par with a Stingray 5, I'd say.

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Cool, thanks for the responses so far. :)

6. I own an L2000 with alder body and maple neck/fingerboard.

I played L2500 a few weeks ago. It had the same kind of wood combination as mine...it sounded great to my suprise. I felt "abit floppy", but sounded great....maybe it's the string's light tension. But that means even with light tension string, it sounded tight!

Good luck

7. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    The headstock design lends itself to having a tight B string.

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I love G&L basses, but I haven't been impressed by the B on the L1505, L2500, or L5500 that I've played. On each of the basses I tried, the B was noticeably looser and less complex-sounding than the other strings. Maybe I'm spoiled by the great B on my Cirrus 5...maybe different strings would help. Definitely try before you buy one to make sure you're getting what you really want...

9. Strings mean a whole lot with the L-2500, my B is fine right now but I had to try several diff. strings...I have DR Hi-Beams on it now....I still want to try Warwick strings on it though, considering my Warwick B string is much tighter...
    Check out the new DR Fat-beams, I hear they rock...