Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-2500 fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mgmadian, Mar 8, 2003.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm talking with a guy about possibly picking up his L-2500 fretless. I've already got a fretless 5 that I love (Turner Electroline 5), but am contemplating stringing the Electroline with flats, and keeping the L-2500 fretless strung with rounds. I know... one fretless is usually more than enough, but it's just a thought! Anyway, I've never found a fretless G&L that I could play firsthand, so a couple Q's:

1. For anyone who's ever played a fretless L-2500 or L-2000: how's it do in terms of a "staccato-y", Jaco-like sound?

2. What's a reasonable price? This is a 1999 (has 3+2 headstock), is in excellent shape, has a solid finish, and comes with a case. Seems that fretted L-2500's often go for $700 or less on eBay, and I'm thinking that a fretless should go for less, as there's not as much of a market for fretless.

3. I'm not nuts about solid finishes, and generally prefer clear/natural or burst. Hypothetically... if I were to pick up this fretless and then pick up another L-2500 from the same era (made with past 3-4 years, 3+2 headstock model), would I be able to swap the necks without problem?

Thanks!