1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L L-2500 fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mgmadian, Mar 8, 2003.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm talking with a guy about possibly picking up his L-2500 fretless. I've already got a fretless 5 that I love (Turner Electroline 5), but am contemplating stringing the Electroline with flats, and keeping the L-2500 fretless strung with rounds. I know... one fretless is usually more than enough, but it's just a thought! Anyway, I've never found a fretless G&L that I could play firsthand, so a couple Q's:

1. For anyone who's ever played a fretless L-2500 or L-2000: how's it do in terms of a "staccato-y", Jaco-like sound?

2. What's a reasonable price? This is a 1999 (has 3+2 headstock), is in excellent shape, has a solid finish, and comes with a case. Seems that fretted L-2500's often go for $700 or less on eBay, and I'm thinking that a fretless should go for less, as there's not as much of a market for fretless.

3. I'm not nuts about solid finishes, and generally prefer clear/natural or burst. Hypothetically... if I were to pick up this fretless and then pick up another L-2500 from the same era (made with past 3-4 years, 3+2 headstock model), would I be able to swap the necks without problem?

Thanks!