Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G+L L-2500 Overdrive trick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skorzen, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Ok I was just playing around with my G&L and playing with the tone controlls and found that if you turn the bass and treble(rear two knobs) all the way down(too the rear), flip the phase switch(series parrelel, or middle switch) to the rear(out of phase), select the bridge pick up(front switch to the rear), and put in regular active mode(rear switch in the middle), you get this sound kinda like an overdriven guitar when you play power chords (1-5-8) Ok I was bored just thought someone might find this interesting

Edit: tried to make this clearer

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Since when do L2500's have phase switches?

I remember a thread about G&L's overdriving when you play them hard from a couple years ago. Some people didn't like it. Others thought Leo had intentionally designed the basses to overdrive when played hard.

3. eh, I don't think anyone will mind if I throw this in the bass forum...

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    ???

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:I have one, but I'm lost

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    The "Bass boost" switch I guess is a series parrelel switch which in one position causes phase canceling(brighter sound) Maybe phase switch is not quite the proper term.

Mine I have to play hard to get the "overdrive" sound, but only with the settings as I listed