Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-2500 Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Does G&L offer a 3 band EQ option on the L-2500? And if not, do any of you have any problem having versatilty with the bass without it?

Also, whats the string spacing like on it, wide, close? And whats the neck like on it?

Im in the process of deciding what my next bass will be. I know I want a 5 in the sub $1500 range and Im gettin info gathered.

If anyone else knows of a 5 string that fits the price range with fairly narrow string spacing (17mm or less) and a reasonably thin neck, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The G&L has more than enough EQ knobs and switches. Incredibly versatile bass imo, but it's going to give you a great bass sound all the time. Don't try strumming on it...

The string spacing is quite close. The neck is slim and incredibly playable. Your hand will really feel at home, at least mine does. Maple and with rosewood fingerboard is mine. Also the B string is just KICKASS.

...and I only have a Tribute. Rivals and in most cases beats out the much more expensive Fender American Deluxe Jazz in playability, bass tone... Yet has a completely different sound. I know because I've owned both

3. Good, I must have close string spacing, for some reason, anything even as wide as a jazz 5 string is just not comfortable to me. Just how thin is the neck on it? Can you compare it to another bass? I used to own a Ibanez SR405 and it had a neck that felt like i was holding a strip of 3/4" plywood it was so thin.

Thanks

Edit: What the weight on a 5 stringer?

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No, but you'll probably have access to more sounds than you'll have use for with the L-2500.

Narrow string spacing...the only reason I sold mine. Don't know the exact measurement at the bridge.

Also look into a Stingray 5. Had one of these, too and loved it also... and also sold it for the same reason (narrow string spacing). Between the two, it's really a matter of preference... have a hard time saying one or the other is better, altho the SR5 has a 3-band preamp, FWIW.

5. NOOO!!!

Why does every bass I want have only 21 frets?

Checked at musiciansfriend and guess what, doesnt have 24 frets.

I played a SR4 and loved the sound but couldnt get used to the 21 fret fretboard. Well that cuts out 95% of whats out there.

Anyone have any suggestions that have 24 frets?

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You're not going to like this reply, but:

Why do you need 24 frets? You're going to be playing bass right?

7. Yes, this is true.

Ive just always (except my first cheap bass) played 24 fret necks, and I just cant really get comfortable on one with less. Maybe it just will take a little getting used to because the last time I owned a bass with less than 24 frets was close to 4 years ago.

Ive actually been giving this some thought since my last post and had a chance to play a stingray with 21 and found it to be quite comfy, as the fiver would be more for when I do more rock type stuff and would have no use for anything higher than 10-12 frets so...

Let us forget the little 24 fret thingy shall we? I do believe that that post/revelation came when I had had very little sleep and wasnt thinking much, if any. Anywho...

So, for my question/topic, what bass do you believe is best suited for giving a warmer, thicker, yet clear tone for $1500ish and less.

This time, the only requirement is that it have a fairly close string spacing, as fat necks and wide spacing is definitely something I cant get used to.

Thank you for any help.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I own both as well...Tribute L-2500 and American Fender Deluxe Jazz V. The Trib is amazing for the price but at the end of the day the Jazz V (IMO) with it's adjustable string spacing, vintage tone and American construction wins out. The neck is a bit wider but to me it's just as playable as the Trib. Now...the Tribute is an awesome bass. Great versatility, playability. One thing....those MFD pickups are HOT! I mean super hot...I had to lower mine all the way into to cavity to tame that beast and it still growls like nothing I've ever heard or played. The Am Deluxe Jazz V is much more mellower and vintage Fender sounding....the pickups aren't nearly as hot but the 18-volt preamp gives you plenty of headroom. I guess it depends on if you want a vintage sounding bass or a hot, growly bass (tribute) that can be eq'd to be mellow but it doesn't want to be mellow ;).

When I'm using the Trib L-2500 I have to cut the mids all the way, the bass about 25% and the low mids about 25% as well just go get the Trib to behave itself ;) .

When I'm using the Am Deluxe Jazz V I don't have to cut or boost anything (usually...depending on the acoustics of the room) and the bass has the vintage tone that never dissappoints.

Both are awesome....

-Bazz-