Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G & L L-2500 set up problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The MOMET, Jun 14, 2004.

1. The MOMET

The MOMET Guest

May 20, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I bought a used L-2500 about a week ago. I do not know the guage of the strings that were on it but I put a set of 40-60-80-100-130 guage. I have not been able to set it up to G & L specs or to the action I prefer. According to G & L, I should have between .018 and .022 relief in the neck at the 8th fret. I have turned the truss rod ALOT! I would say I am up to 23-1/8th turns since I got the insturment 8 days ago. I make an adjustment the neck moves, I tune to pitch and everything is cool for a few hours. Then the neck shifts back to relief greater than 30. I am afraid of turning the truss rod much more. This is moving my action from just a hair below 3/32" to just a hair below 1/8". I can not get the action any lower or I buzz out at the 15th, 16th and 17th. There is a shim in the neck.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you have any suggestions? Do you know a good luthier in the Chicago area?

2. After 23 turns of the truss rod, I think the time for needing a luthier is a little past.

3. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I think he means he turned it 1/8th turn, 23 times, which equates to almost 4 complete turns. That still seems like an awful lot and the truss rod threads may be stripped. When I tried siginificantly heavier strings on mine last year, it took only about a half turn to bring it back in spec and it stayed there for the duration of having those strings on.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Don't claim to be an expert but that may be the problem right there. Does the neck have the tilt adjustment feature or is it a home made shim? I believe G&L quit putting the tilt back feature on their newer basses because people tended to use it whether the bass needed it or not. I inquired about this with people that know way more about the subject than me when I got my used G&L and was told that the factory setting is the neck sitting flush in the pocket without any tilt. When I corrected this the neck played great with no problems. Just my 2 cents.