1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L L-2500 Tribute Pot Values....Searched to no avail

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassingeorge, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Ok, I need the pot values, to change the pots on my G&L Tribute L-2500 Bass.

I would like to change them to higher quality solid shaft pots...To use some rosewood knobs and for an overall better feel.

What are the values? The g&l web store sells them in 250k, 500k and 1meg values.

Thanks!

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    There was a thread here a while back on this and I had measured the values of the pots in my Tribute L-2500, but someone said I didn't do it quite right. I corrected the values and this is what I have listed but you may want to check with someone else to make sure.

Treble = 250 k

Bass = 1 meg

Volume = 250k

Since in passive mode the circuit is close to a standard passive bass I presume that any of the volume and "tone" pots out there in these values will work. In fact, currently I'm using a StewMac push-pull 250k volume control in mine and it works just fine. Of course that is a split shaft pot, but shows standard pots work.

3. Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've read that treble is 250K, but I think someone mentioned it was 500k?

Can someone chime in? :smug:

Are you using Push/Pull pots on a G&L? How? Instead of the toggles or what?

4. Ok, so I know the pot values...

You were right bassbenj, they are 250k, 250k and 1 meg.

All I have to do is drill a bigger hole, so I can run the solid 1/4" shafts.

Quick Question:
    I was checkin ghe top of the Volume Pot, well, actually underside of the pot, were you solder ground, etc. Theres a solder, with just over 1mm of wire sticking out of THe pearl of solder. And thats it. It doesn't solder a wire or else. What is it? Will it be necessary to do that on the new pots?

5. Pots Ordered...Will See how it goes!

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's what the schematic says too.

The guitars have a 500k treble tone pot.

7. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You can get solid shafts in the smaller size too.

8. I don't have problem fitting the bigger ones on my bass...I figure the larger shaft (no pun intended) will increase the durability and be more stout?

9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Don't ask! Ok, I'll tell all. The push-pull on the volume is to switch the neck/bridge pickups from serial to parallel connection. The series/parallel toggle switch only does series/parallel on the two coils of each pickup while they stay hooked in parallel (selected by the other toggle).

The answer to "why" is that I have the single coil mod and I especially like the sound of pickups in single coil but connected in series. So this way I have all options up to and including everything in series (which is a bit overwhelming on the low end).

I don't think I'd use the push/pull to replace a toggle, but before I did series/parallel I was going to wire it as a "pull the volume to mute the bass" feature which I also think would be totally cool. In fact I've been pondering putting a push/pull on the treble pot for the mute feature since I've already put series/parallel on the volume. Or maybe if I feel ambitious I could put mute on volume and series/parallel on the treble pot which might make more sense.

And Oh, one more cool thing you can do with push/pull is to use it on treble and have two different cap values. push being the standard and pull being a smaller (or larger) one to give you two tone settings. I've never tried this with the GNL but my SX basses have a tone toggle switch that does just that. There was a thread here in this forum about it a while back.

The whole reason for using push/pull pots for additional switching is that I really didn't want to start drilling new holes all over my GNL basses for more toggle switches. Especially in the USA ones!

10. Cool mods Bassbenj! ;)
    Although a little complicated for me...this would be the second time I solder....I'm planning on just do a wire at a time...and it's a sea of wire!

I don't mind drilling for the bigger pots...it's a tribute..I have another bass I can use...and I don't plan on selling it..so. :p

11. Ok, sorry to wake this thread....I received the pots...and I accidentally ordered one 500K pot...instead of 2 250k ones...I read somewhere I can use a 500k for the treble pot? How will it affect the tone?

12. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You wont notice too much difference. Might be a little brighter when on 10. Or you can use it for the volume pot.

13. Brighter is fine....As long as I can cut it.

Thanks! I will wire this baby up! :cool:

14. Oh, how will it affect if I put it on volume?

15. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    The bass would be a little brighter and louder, if that's possible from a G&L. :)

16. That could be an option...only it would tear down the walls of my house ;)

Thanks for the info!

Oh, and I bought a 1meg pot for the bass as stock...but I saw that it is an audio taper....will that work?