Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-2500 v. L-5500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick man, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey everyone!

I just posted this at the dudepit but Im sure you guys can give some additional insight.

I have a G&L L-2500 that Ive been playing for about 4 years and have loved the whole time.

Recently Ive gotten more into a nasly less bassy tone but as all of you know, the L-2000 and L-2500 are really strong bassy instruments by nature. It wouldnt be a problem that couldnt be fixed with my amps EQ but I usually find myself switching between a few basses per set and the hassle of mesing with the EQ between songs is too much to bear.

What Im wondering is if the EMG pickup/preamp combo gives the L-5500 a drastically different tone. One with a brighter trebble and maybe more high mids is what Im looking for.

I love the feel of my L-2500 so I want something similar if possible and I love the headstock of the L-5500 so I figure thats a good way to go. I was also offered one as a trade for my L-2500.

Peace
    Nick

PS: How do they compare price wise?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, the L-5500 has a much smoother, more "refined" tone than a 2500. It plays like a G&L but doesn't sound at all like one because of the EMG electronics.

The 5500 usually sells for less than the 2500.

3. my 5500 sounds great! the 2500 definately has more options. there's only a pickup selector and bass and treble boost on mine. but with that said, every tone is useable from the 5500! Great bass for that price.... slightly cheaper than the 2500. You can ask the guy for a top up.. i think.. =)

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks for the replys!

Anyone else think they can give their input?

Peace
    Nick

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Nick,
    I've got a G&L backup bass (L-1505) that I added the neck P/U to get more of the L2500 sounds. It ended up sounding very close the the L2500 but with a little more midrange. I've never really liked the G&L Pre. Even after sheiding the control & P/U cavities the pre was just to noisy. I recently installed an Aguilar OBP3 pre and it's much quiter now but it didn't smooth out the sound as much as I hoped. I'm either going to get som EMG 40's or Bart soapbars and see if that will give me the sound that I want. I'll let you know how it turns out. I played a couple of L5500 basses and they did have a much smoother sound (much brighter but I would not say a great deal more Mid-range).

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Echo the comments about the different sounds... the 500 definitely has more of an 'active' sound, I guess you could characterize it as having more high-mids and a brighter tone overall. The L-2500 has very pronounced low-mids, great for a growly, snarly sound... one thing I did to mine was cahnge the volume knob to a push-pull, where "pull" bypassed the pots (volume, treble, bass) and sent the signal direct from the pickups to the output jack (and still through the switches, of course). Really opened up (and brightened up) the sound... a worthwhile mod.

7. Does anyone have the link to the G&L website?

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    www.glguitars.com

If you are more interested in a nasaly kind of tone why dont you try soloing the bridge pickup of the L-2500? Its not as focused as a jazz bass bridge p/u but it takes off a lot of the low end that comes from the neck p/u.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It just doesnt sound right to me like that.

Its an incredible bass that has worked well for me in almost any situation in the past, but its too much for what Im doing now.

Peace
    Nick