Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L-2500 vs. others (Carvin XB75?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Which do you like better a G&L L-2500 or a Carvin XB75?

The Carvin is neck through, and has more options as far as wood and, frets and... well, everything go. It is also 35.25" scale.
    The only thing is that the G&L will have better electronics and pups.

SO what's your pick?

2. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    oh and are there any other suggestions in the 800 to 1300 USD range?

3. Yo MontyP,
    I'd choose the G&L. I never really liked the stock Carvin electronics. In that price range, there's a lot of nice stuff, including the Sting Ray 5.

4. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    hey funky, I kinda like having neck through and the carvin bodies are cool.

But I like the idea of the good electronics in the G&L and 'ray5... I just hate the ray5's scratchplate though. I love the egg one on the ray4 but the ray5... ugghh! It's sooooo ugly.

Hmm.. any ideas for neck through in that price range...

Maybe I will get an L2500 in the spring, or if I could sort out an egg scratchplate on a ray5... hmm. Other than pups and electronics the Carvin always wins out, that's all!

Too many decisions.

5. try out (if you can) a peavey cirrus five. neck throught, 35 inch scale, lots of opitions as far as the woods go, good electronics and pups, all aroung a great deal.

6. At one point I owned both an L2500 and an LB75. There were things about each bass that I really liked. The electronics on the L2500 are definitely better but the one thing about the LB75 that I liked was the fact that you could pan between pickups rather then using the toggle switch on the L2500.

I ended up selling both basses and purchased a used Lakland 55-94 which, to me, has the best of both worlds.;)

7. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    thanks for the replies.

the peavy is alright, but what do you people think of the Cort basses. They seem good and the Artisan(?) is neck through, and in my price range. Maybe it's between that and the G&L now.

haha, well any opinions are appreciated.

thanks guys, MontyP

8. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    *bump*

well, I'm liking the Cort, bartolinni pups and preamp and all, but finish choices are limited. I like to woods though.

9. I would choose the L2500 over Carvin. I've had not so great experiences with Carvin...even with the Bunny Brunel sig bass. But G&L, I've had nothing but great experiences with it. So you know which I one I would vote for.

Cort artisan IMO is really good. I used to play it quite often. The one I play had a Bartolini soap bar PU. It sounded fat and warm! One of the best sounding bass even for basses above it's price.

10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I would go against the grain here and say get the carvin. I have an LB75f,(the normal scale version of the xb75) and it does all I could want it to. It looks, sounds and handles great. Plus, you can get all the options you want for your unique bass at very low cost. Personally, I have played a few Corts, and would never buy one, they just don't impress me much. By the way, what draws you to the long scale bass?

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Electronics are removable and interchangable, woods aren't. Carvin.

12. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

My experience is limited to 4 strings but I had a Carvin B4 (bolt-on) that I returned during the trial period because it didn't sound like anything special (tung oil maple body, ebony board, HB2 bridge, H50N in the neck) after having had a Stingray and a Fender American P Deluxe. I was hoping for Stingray sound with the added flexibility of a neck pickup - nope. The L-2000 I got after I returned the Carvin blew me away and I still have it (albeit after buying it back after foolishly trading it away).

So my opinion is L-2500.

Woods are pretty, electronics are replaceable but nothing rocks my world like an L series G&L (you can get them with figured tops if that's your thing).

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I have L-2000's and also an LB75. They are so different, I don't think I could even offer a direct comparison. I would say it depends on what music you like to play the most.

If you want something agressive and versatile, the G&L is the ticket. The Carvin will sound more modern, and far less agressive overall. They will both be built well, no worries there. I like the electronics and pickups on the G&L a lot more. I like the playability of the Carvin better. The Carvin is great for smoother more subdued tones.

14. Here we are: the usual G&L lovers ;).

My experience with the LB75: good bass but too polite for my taste.
    I'd go with the L-2500, it has more power.
    But try to check out the one you'll buy.

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Cirrus. Cirrus pickups win hands down over Carvin. Three-way system. G&L L2500 is two-way. With the Cirrus you get the tone woods and pickups, and a real sleek feel. These are going for about $850 on the open market.

16. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    The reason I want longer scale is because of the added string tension, and on a Carvin, I only want 22 frets. In fact I really don't want any less or more frets, just 22 if possible.

Can I expect a warm jazzy tone from the G&L as well as punchy P/MM type tones? (you really can't imitate a P/MM exactly)

If so it might just be the best. I just don't know, I kinda want neck through. Bolt-on is only half-arsed if you ask me. Why not add the extra stability if you can?

17. I prefer bolt-on. There seems to be more overtones. To me, a neck-thru sounds a little "thinner" because even though there's a stronger fundamental, some of those overtones are missing.

18. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I think the G&L does a good job of copping the tones you mentioned Monty. It mimics the Precision tone real well with the front pickup soloed. For MM, I can't really say, that's not a sound I've actively sought out. For Jazz, solo the bridge pup in parallel mode, and for a little more growl, try going passive on top of that. I think it does the Precision sound most convincing, but it has some sounds that are unique to the bass as well. It's not as if it just emulates other basses, there's an agressive tone in the L series basses that I've not heard from others.

19. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'm sold, I'll try then buy one in the spring if I'm satisfied. Bolt-on is good then, I like overtones...

20. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Cool. I recommend trying one out if possible before you buy. I think most people can find something they like about the sound of G&L's, but you want to be sure you'll like the feel as well.