G&L L-2500 vs Skyline 5 (35" scale)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FretGrinder, Mar 3, 2003.

1. G&L L-2500

10 vote(s)
  2. Lakland Skyline 55-02

7 vote(s)
  3. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
  1. HI.

I'm in Australia and considering both a G&L L-2500 and a Lakland Skyline 5 string (55-02 i think) ... rrp is AU$4000 for the G&L, AU$3000 for the lakland.

I'm into versatility, B-string balance, agressiveness, playability and quality - most of all, tone. I've not yet had a chance to road test the G&L in a 5 string format but the lakland blew me away with its tone and the excellent balance and tightness of its low B.

Is the G&L's low B as tight and balanced as the Lakland? Can it do that amazing piano like tone? Is the Lakland capable of sounding as ballsy as the G&L?

Please give me your opinions and rants, I'd love to hear them. If you have anything to say to me personally, email me at fretgrinder@labsystems.com.au with something in the message line that doesn't sound like junkmail ...

FretGrinder. (David Lee)
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I don't have much experience with either but I played the G&L for the first time the other day while checking them out for a friend.

I left the shop seriously wanting a L-2500. The through body stringing helps the strings sustain very well. Lots of tones available from the electronics.

The down side is that the EQ is two band only and I believe only boost (like the original StingRay). The pickup coils can be connected in series or parallel but you can't mix and match like on the Fender RB5. Also, no blend...just a pup selector switch for bridge, neck or both.

Having written all of that, one can still get a lot of different tones out of the instrument...and as far as I could tell...all good ones.
  3. thanks ... keep em coming

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm fond of both. I would say the G&L is a bit more on the aggressive side.
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Though I could be mistaken, I thought the treble and bass controls on the G&L were cut only. Also, I'd say a piano like tone is definitely possible with the G&L. The G&L naturally has a strong midrange character to it, and that tends to shine through in most any application. Boosting the mids a tad yields fantastic cut, and they have agressive tone for days. They are versatile basses with some great sounds in them, but I don't have enough time with the Lakland to draw a direct comparison. One way or another, you'll probably want to get your hands on a G&L before making the final decision.

Good luck! :)
  6. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have owned the 4 string versions of both.
    The G&L controls are cut only for treble and bass.

They are very different basses. The G&L has more balls and powerful tone. The Lakland is cleaner sounding with a little more Bart sound and has a little more note definition, but it lacks the low mids and lows of the G&L MFD pickups. The G&L will probably have a floppier B, but IMHO better tone (a lot more aggression).

I still own and will always own a G&L :cool:

7. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Firstly, these are both good basses, so you probably can't go wrong with either one. That said, I'd prefer a L-2500 over the 55-02, after having played them both. Couple things:

1. The G&L can sound very *deep*, especially if you use the series setting, pre-amp engaged, and roll of the passive treble (both tone knobs are passive roll-off only). It really is *responsive*, and can sound very organic. Note: this is a maple-board one, I prefer this over rosewood boards. The 55-02 overall sounded good, but "smoother" and, frankly, less-interesting to my ears.

2. The deep tone I commented on above, I couldn't really emulate with the 55-02... it could come close, but I thing the problem I have with it is that the treble control is active... I generally prefer a passive treble control, and find that an active treble cut doesn't do much for me... though a passive treble cut sounds very cool. Conversely, the active bass boost on the Lakland is cool, and the passive bass control on the G&L doesn't do as much for me.

3. I also preferred the L-2500 when using either of the pickups alone, i.e. I preferred the sound of it's beck pickup alone to the 55-02's, and also preferred the sound of the L-2500's bridge pickup alone.

4. Though the L-2500 has pickup selectors instead of a blend, don't worry about not having enough tone options... you'll have plenty of sounds to choose from! I generally prefer selectors over blends, as most blends don't seem to make a big difference over the dominantly-chosen pickup.

Overall... try 'em both, but if you can't, my vote goes to the L-2500.

Good luck!

8. I am in a very similar situation to you (including the australia bit) im' looking at a g&l l2500(tribute model), lakland skyline 5502 or a used Stingray5 and my adive to you would be think about getting it from the US because of our strong dollar at the moment its a very good option, i've spoken to gard and he said shipping would be around $200US and if you look at this thread it helps you get around the import duties http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105489

i've worked it out out for the final cost of the different basses to all be under $2000AU very much worth a look if your willing to import.

P.S I noticed you email is with labsystems, do you work for/own the company? or are you js\ust good friends with the owners. I've got a Labsystems quad and i love it and i'm going to purchase a 600SS this year.
  9. I just met Gard yesterday and bought the 55-02 from Bass Central....light years better than my G&L and more options in tone as well. Very solid, clear B string and with the Maple neck, a great ringing tone. Just plucking a string, you can feel the vibration throughout the bass very clearly. Definitely look at the Lakland...you will be happy!
  10. I own both basses. They are two different basses. If you like P-bass tone then go with the G & L. For more versatility I would go with the Lakland. The pan switch on the Lakland gives you more options on the fly.