1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L-5000, rare bird in Black/maple, all stock in stellar cond., OHSC, FS-Feeler

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by seventhsunbass, Oct 24, 2010.

1. seventhsunbass

seventhsunbass Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Maryland
    Price Lowered to $800, shipped CONUS :bawl:
    When Leo Fender died on March 21, 1991, BBE took over control.
    That makes this a true Leo Fender G&L bass, born under his watchful eye.
    For sale, my 1989 G&L L-5000 bass. She is dead stock and has her OHSC. If you are looking here, you know what she is. If not, here are the hi-lights:
    G&L's first 5-string bass. It uses a 5-string Z-coil pickup that looks almost like a Precision pickup. The nut width is narrow (1.75") and the string spacing is tight at the bridge. This one has the crinkle black aluminum pickguard, crinkle black hardware and the sickle headstock. At 9.4 lbs, it's solid but not heavy.
    34" scale, 1 5/8" body depth, body width at lower bout is 13", volume/tone controls, body 2 piece maple.
    Only about 400 of these were ever made - G&L moved on to other 5-string models (first the L-5500 with EMG pickups, then the L-2500 with MFDs) that used a neck and bridge spacing more in line with other 5-string basses.
    Sonically it's very similar to a G&L SB-1 or SB-2 - very clear, with a deep, growly tone.

I can honestly say this is the most powerful P style bass I have ever played. The Z shaped MFD P-style pickup (adjustable pole pieces) really packs some oomph. If you want to cut through the mix without being muddy, this is the bass for you. She sports the classic black body/maple board (Leo called it 'Bahama Blue' but in anything other than bright sunlight, she looks black) and is in stellar condition. Let me know if there are any certain pics you would like other than the usual.
    Selling for $800 shipped CONUS to your door. I can do a trade + cash deal, cash on your end, for US or Japan basses or tube amps. Let me know what you have. Thanks. SSB

2. PM Sent

3. seventhsunbass

Feb 14, 2010
    Maryland
    Sorry for the delay, bit of a medical issue. Dust on the lens but the bass is clean.

4. seventhsunbass

Feb 14, 2010
    Maryland
    "...including a head shot!" My 'Full Metal Jacket' reference for the night.

5. krustwell

krustwell

May 18, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    except for the funky headstock, looks just like a 2nd Gen SB-1. i bet the low B would rattle my house off its foundation.

7thSun, it looks like we have very similar taste in basses! wish i could take this one off your hands but all my cash is tied up in moving.

g/l!!

6. seventhsunbass

Feb 14, 2010
    Maryland
    Thanks. As I said, one of the most powerful P-type basses I have played or heard. And the maple board gives it a tone I found lacking in a rosewood one (have both). Good Luck with the move, my friend. SSB

7. seventhsunbass

Feb 14, 2010
    Maryland
    A true 'Leo era' bass bump....

8. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    Bump....
    (why does this have to be in MD!!)
    Could you speak a bit on the difference between a standard mfd split coil and this basses single pole piece design.

9. seventhsunbass

Feb 14, 2010
    Maryland
    "The sound is on the dark side, almost a grumble with the tone control on its bright side. Turn the knob the opposite way, and a warm, late 50s-style of Precision sound emanates out of the bass. The tone doesn't get muddy when playing at the muted tone knob position, just a soft penetrating sound like the older Fender basses from the 1960s on down. "
    This description from Harmony Central sums up the sound perfectly. Sonically, it has a straight ahead sound, to be sure. I have had it strung with Nylons and rolled off the tone, great P-bass warmth. With the DR Hi Beams on it now, more of an aggressive growl, good break up and a clear B string. My L1K's and L2K's may offer more choices on the bass as to shaping the sound but that is due to the controls, i.e. phase in/out and boost. Over all a versitile bass, good bite to mellow smooth. A well defined B string, not a floppy, 'farting' sound but tight. Cuts through the mix very well, your sound man will love you for this.

10. seventhsunbass

Feb 14, 2010
    Maryland
    Less than 400 made and only half of those under Leo's care. This is one of those select few.
    Playable history, yours for $800 SHIPPED and INSURED to your door.

11. TeddyBearLove

TeddyBearLove

Nov 16, 2009
    PM coming your way.....TBL

12. seventhsunbass

Feb 14, 2010
    Maryland
    PM's replied to

13. seventhsunbass

Feb 14, 2010