Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G & L L1000 Bowed Neck Problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gareth, Jan 2, 2004.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    I've just bought a lovely early 1980/81 ish L1000 mahogony body, maple neck with skunk stripe and ebony fingerboard.

The problem is that the finderboard is bowed - the distance between the strings and 8th fret being great and notes above 12th fret giving fret buzz.

I'm not confident at dealing with bullet truss rods so i took the bass to my local luthier. He replaced the neck nut of the truss rod as the old one had been abused by the use of the wrong sized allen keys. But even then was not able to adjust the neck by much before pressure on the board caused the ebony fretboard to partially crack between the nut and the first fret.

He says that there is no point in removing the shunk stripe to get at the truss rod to find out what is wrong as the strip is too narrow. Instead he recommends removing the ebony fretboard between the nut and first fret from the neck to reveal the truss rod anchorage and then see what needs to be done.

Is this work ok to have done?

Is this the right way to solve the problem?

What effect will this work have on the value of the bass - will its value go down by much and if so how much in percentage terms?

Thanks for you help