Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G & L L1000 Truss Rod

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gareth, Dec 16, 2003.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    I've just got an early (1980/81) L1000

Its very nice but there seems to be too much relief in the neck with the strings buzzing above the 12th fret.

I've loossened the strings and the truss rod still does not want to move.

Any suggestions

2. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Note: Answering only because noone else seemed to, not because I'm a repair expert.

You mean the nut itself doesn't want to turn, right? Try loosening it instead of tightening it. Often a nut that won't turn in one direction will give in the other. Sometimes you have to help the process a bit by hand-bending the neck a little, too, but if it's truly frozen, that ain't gonna help. Try a drop or two of penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench IME is better than WD40 or 3-in-1) giving it plenty of time to wick down the threads of the nut. No luck? Let it sit a day, then try again. Still no luck? Then try some heat. Hold a soldering iron against the nut for 20 or 30 seconds, then try it.

Whatever you do, don't force it, not in the least. You'll either strip the nut beyond repair or break the rod. Also be careful to keep the oil and the heat away from the wood.

If you're the least bit worried about this, take it to an luthier instead, who'll have more tricks of the trade than I can offer. When I reach this point with non-guitar related nuts, I just dig out the nut splitter.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Given the geometry of a bass neck, buzzing above the 12th fret (if by above you mean 13-24) usually cannot be rectified by changing the neck relief. It's usually a case of the bridge saddles being too low.

Now, sometimes too much relief will cause higher action, and a person might be tempted to lower the action by lowering the bridge saddles. Hence, the buzz at 12+. Only indirectly has relief caused the problem, though, so the first step is to get the saddles back up, then fix the relief.

But your first job is to get the truss rod moving again. As suggested:

1) always make adjustments with little or no tension on the strings
    2) try loosening the rod before tightening to get the nut moving. lubricant may help.
    3) DO NOT use excessive force
    4) sometimes, clamping the neck to a straightedge will help in making adjustments
    5) if you come up short on any of these steps, consider bringing it to a reputable repair guy

4. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Thanks for your replies

I've taken it to a local luthier