1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L L1000 vs the newer Musicman Cutlass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mpdd, Feb 28, 2018.

1. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    Not sure how I feel about this, I've already got a really nice custom LB100 that i record with and a vintage L2k that I play at shows, but I keep thinking about these these two other basses for some reason. At this time I mostly play with a really warm and super clean tone to give the other guys room to get more fuzzy or spaced out with their sounds at shows. The issue for me would be that this would be the absolute last bass I'm going to purchase and I'd prefer to have the punch of something like an sb-2 with the warmth of the L2000. I enjoyed the L1000 I played tonally, but the neck was super wide and almost totally flat. I never played a Cutlass, but I have tried the Caprice and really enjoyed the tone of the split pickup, but wasn't a fan of the jazz like neck. So I guess maybe if I could get some input or thoughts that would be cool. Bare in mind that the L2000 has the dark voicing some of the vintage ones do and it is really clear sounding.

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    You'll like the Cutlass. Go for it. Ive seen plenty used on GC for great prices.

mpdd likes this.
  3. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    The Cutlass PU is pretty hot, fat, and juicy. If you buy a Cutlass blind expecting a Caprice neck PU sound you’ll be pretty shocked, I would say. But since you want some Sb-2 character, it’s my understanding those are like the hottest of the hot when it comes to passive P style PU right? I think the Cutlass might be right in the sweet spot for you. Most comfortable bass I own.

lowdownthump and mpdd like this.