Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L1500, L2000 OR ASAT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 23, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm finally choosing the new bass.
    after mumblin' a lot the brand name is G&L. this is due to sound, quality and price (they are a lot cheaper than musicman and sounds good too on my hands...). i want a four string bass, i play pop rock in the vein of u2 or oasis and my amp is an ampegsvt3 pro with ampeg 4x10 cab. i don't use effects at the time.
    now i have to choose the right model.
    would you like to gimme a hand telling me your opinions about the l 1500, l 2000 and asat? i'm oriented on the
    l 2000 or on the asat
    thanks a lot in advance. could you give me the price of these basses in the usa? they are expensive here in italy and i'm thinking to order it from the usa.
    marco

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'm personally an L-2000 fan - that's my main bass. The ASAT has identical electronics but is cosmetically different. I've read that it can have some balance issues but that didn't matter to me, I prefer the shape of the L-2000 anyway. I've never played an L-1500 but I would guess the sonic palette would be limited when compared the L-2000/ASAT just because of the single pickup. But I would also guess that the L-1500 can achieve some tones that the L-2000/ASAT can't exactly duplicate.

I've seen new L-2000s for under $800 US. I think the ASAT is slightly more and the L-1500 slightly less. I purchased mine (they ordered it from the factory for me) from http://www.ktjmusic.com. Bass NW (www.bassnw.com), Buffalo Brothers and Indoor Storm also sell them. I'm sure some of them have experience shipping overseas.

3. I agree that the L-2000 or ASAT will be more versatile, so I would certainly lean that way. Between those two, I prefer the look of the L-2000 by quite a bit, but that's really up to you. I would also take into account that I have heard some people say that there is a slight balance problem with the ASAT (it's neck heavy). I have an L-2000 which is perfectly balanced.