G&L L2000 #12 neck (1.625" nut) - school me on how this feels

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 7, 2019.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've owned quite a few G&L L2000 Tributes and always let them go because of the 1.75" nut. I've always wanted to get a USA model with a narrower nut. Unfortunately I've gotten very used to the sub 1.5" nut of my Ibanez SR.

What is the #12 G&L neck like? It's 1.625" at the nut with a 12" radius. Does it feel thick? Is it narrow front to back? I won't have a chance to try it myself.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  2. brocco

brocco

Feb 27, 2010
    Not sure about the 1.625 I have a USA L2000 with 1.5 all maple neck, it is about like a Jazz bass being thin front to back. Fabulous bass active and especially passive. Bought it from GC used gear site they had a few and Reverb too.

3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    That's a relatively thick neck. I have the #8 neck on mine, which is the greatest profile of any neck ever invented on god's green earth. People can disagree and I fully support their right to be wrong.

millahh likes this.
  4. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I have the #12 on my LB-100. I love it. It's sort of in between a P and J neck. Very comfortable, and with the satin finish, it feels great.

5. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Feels like a Pbass...I had an L2K with the #12, if you like the chunk of a Pbass neck then you will be happy.
    Rock on.

Curtbass likes this.
  6. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    Why not search for one with the 1.5” nut width? They’re out there...

7. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    My L2000 has the #12 neck. The #12 is comfortable, if just a bit on the 'large' side for me. The shoulders are tapered, so the hand can relax. It's actually nice to have this bigger neck to stretch out on, give my hand some variety.

I had their 1-3/4 and let go of the sweet El Toro it was attached to, because it was too beefy for me. For reference, my favorite neck is on my Lakland 4-94, but my second favorite is the 1-5/8 on my '83 SB-2. The 1-1/2 on my '89 SB-2 is cool as well. G&L necks are all different!

8. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    I have a CLF L1000 with a 1 5/8 neck, slim C profile with a 9 1/2 radius. It is THE most comfortable neck I could hope for. It’s right up there with the L1000 I bought back in 1980 that resulted in my hanging up my ‘73 Rick 4001. If the L2000 you’re looking at has the same profile, I can’t imagine the radius being a deal breaker. The 1 5/16 neck is kind of like the bowl of porridge, not too hot, not too cool, just right.

9. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    BTW, I’m not a fan of the 1 1/2 Jazz neck, regardless of the profile. My feeling is, you need to familiarize yourself with not just the width but the profile of these G&L necks. To concentrate on just the nut width and radius is omitting a big part of what makes a neck comfortable in your hand.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021