G&L L2000 Advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kronde, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Kronde

Feb 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    So I have been playing an early 80's G&L L2000 for about a year now (ebay special). I love the neck and as a whole the bass fits me (physically) like no other I have played. Now for the advice... I really seem to lose the 'D' and 'G' strings in the mix at stage volume. I really got kinda fed up after an outdoor gig this past saturday when those strings just seemed to disappear into the mix. Seems like I read somewhere that this problem is endemic to L-2000's...

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone come up with a solution? I currently have rotosounds on the bass and the 'E' and 'A' strings have exactly the sound i am looking for. I am playing through a GK 700RB w/1 or 2 Bag End S15D's for most shows. I have had the instrument to a reputable bass tech to have the pole pieces/pickups adjusted...helped a little, particularly at lower (read practice) volumes.

much thanks
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

This is my biggest problem with the L2K - "disappearing" or lower volume D & G strings. For me, the problem is really only there when I use series mode (which is what I like better).

I got around it in the past by doing one of three things:

#1 - I did a more "drastic" adjustment of the pole pieces. Raised those on the D & G strings until I got a balanced sound that I liked at volume in the mix. It really left things adjusted for series mode but I didn't use parallel mode that much anyway.

#2 - cut the bass significantly and turn up the volume. The massive low output of the L2K meant that while the E & A strings were beefy and sounded great the D & G weren't as loud. Cutting bass and turning up the volume to some degree increased the volume of the higher notes/strings relative to the lower notes/strings.

#3 - use parallel mode instead of series mode. I loved the sound of series mode but the upper notes/strings are more subdued and get lost, particularly in a mix with two loud, distorted, over-bass-EQed guitars. Parallel mode has a lot more clank and high-end content. It usually cut through without problems. Although it wasn't as satisfying a tone solo it cut through the mix better.

#4 - replace the L2K with an SB-2. Lots of singing top end, more clarity (and clank/harshness) but the D&G never get lost. Actually I've recently gotten an L2K again since I love both the SB-2 and the L2K so this is offered half in jest.

Good luck. The L2K is a great bass and lots of folks love them (including me). I'm looking forward to matching the one I recently got up with the dueling too-loud guitars next time my band gets together.
  3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Everything craigb said except for #4. I've never played an SB-2 so I can't comment on it. I rarely have the bass knob up all the way in series mode for the reasons stated above.

Pole Piece adjustments are your friend. I took me a few months to get my ASAT dialed in exactly how I wanted it. Don't underestimate what some good adjustment can do for a bass.

Hope you can fix the problem.
  4. Kronde

Feb 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Much thanks fellow TBers, I will try more drastic adjustment on those pole pieces...I really love this bass, it really isn't much to look at, but it plays like a dream and I really can't imagine parting ways with it. I have also given some thought to heavier D and G strings to try to boost output. I guess I just need to get in there and start tweaking. I am reluctant to drastically change my eq settings as I have the E and A string right where I want them (with minor adjustments for the venue)...
  5. I've had this same problem with my L2500. Like others have said, the best way around it is to play in parallel when you need to use the whole fingerboard. The series setting is just too thick and woofy-sounding to get clarity on the D & G strings.