1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L2000: Alder or Swamp Ash body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nightvision, May 20, 2011.

1. Hello everybody,
    I live in France and I would like to order a new US G&L L2000 with some custom options (#8 neck, natural wood binding).
    I think I'll go with a Black finish but I don't know if I have to choose a Alder or a Swamp Ash body...
    I had in the past three L2000 (this day I have a Tribute L2000 that I love), and like the tone, but I like the tone of Alder body basses (My Fender Jag is Alder and I really love the tone of the bass).
    Somedy have some experience with Alder body L2000???

Also I will go with a Jazz neck, #8, but never played a neck like this... somebody can explain me how did I expect? Should I get the jazz neck with a 12" radius or a 7.5" radius?

Thank you

2. My 1982 L-2000 is very lightweight alder. It has a deep, P-Bass like tone with lots of sustain. The swamp ash bodies I've played have a more focused, mid-range tone. Personally, I prefer the tone of alder -- plus, it is easier on the shoulder than ash.

1981GL.

3. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Wow, nice bass !

4. Excellent tone. There were many complaints that G&L basses have no distinct tone. Well, IMO this is the sound of G&L.

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I don't have a lot of experience with all the US made options, but when I bought my tribute, they came in swamp ash and basswood. I was not impressed with the basswood. It seemed dull and mushy to me compared to the focused brighter tone of the swamp ash. Both my USA and Tribute L2500 basses are swamp ash.

Alder to me, however, is much nicer than basswood. It is more mellow and warmer than ash. I have a couple alder basses (not G&L) and I really like the tone of them. The effects of wood on tone are pretty minor, but if you are spending serious cash you might as well get what you want.

I am not familiar with the Jazz neck options so I can't explain to you what to expect. I can say, that the standard G&L neck has a kind of fatter chunky feel that I personally really like much better than the Fender Jazz profiles. But many people prefer the Fender shape over the G&L.

6. Somebody have or had a Alder G&L L2000?

7. I own 6 G&Ls (see below). Besides the current 4 L2000 that I own, I've owned 3 other L2000 and have played a lot of other ones. As you can tell, I love this model!

If you play or own a lot of them, you will eventually see that body wood is not a huge tone factor in these basses. The most important tone factor is those massive MFD pickups. They define the L2000 sound.

I once thought ash sounded better than alder until I got a few alders only to really compare them to the ash ones I owned and come to the conclusion I mentionned above.

I would even state that strings have a bigger impact on an L2000's tone than whatever body wood. You change the strings, you get a much different sound.

Plus, L2000s are so versatile...get a good one, you will make it sound the way you want. Just spend time with the pre, you will find what you are looking for.

Anyways, enjoy your future L2000! I certainly do!

John

FamilyGL.

8. So for you, Alder and Ash L2000 have exactly the same sound?
    Nice to know that, my quest will be less difficult!

9. Oui, c'est en plein ca! Je trouve qu'il sonne exactement pareille. Les MFDs sont tres forts, il teinte vraiment tout les autres facteurs.

D'autres diront peut etre autre chose, mais ca me surprendrait énormément que tu voit une difference a cause du bois.

J'ai fait l'experience moi meme plusieurs fois.

En plus, meme si il y aurait une petite difference, cette difference disparaitra une fois que tu joue avec un band. Tu sais, dans le mix, les petites nuance sont vraiment impossible a détecter.

Donc, choisis celui que tu veut, la couleur, etc. Le son va etre la, mon ami. C'est sur!

A bientot!

John

10. Thank you John for your effort to speak (very well) in French!

11. DanHibiki

DanHibiki

Apr 16, 2008
    Wow, a L2000 with block markers, when was this offered? I think it is not available currently...

12. shawn2000

shawn2000

Mar 2, 2004
    Logan, UT
    I will second this. Get what is going to be easier on the shoulder. I have played these in ash and alder. And it truly is 6's. (One man's opinion, well two).

13. Dan, I hope I don't dissapoint you too much when I confess that they are stickers...

John

14. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I THINK they mainly use alder on the solid finishes and ash on the clears and see-thru bursts, dont they?

15. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    I had a tobaccoburst limited edition L-1000 with an alder body and a 1.5" wide neck. It was very lightweight and sounded fantastic! Probably the single best sounding L-1000 I've owned.

16. DanHibiki

DanHibiki

Apr 16, 2008
    Well, it looks good :)

17. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas