1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L2000 Bridge Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thorplaysbass, Dec 14, 2011.

1. I have a 1983 G&L L2000 bass and somehow along the line the screw that controls the intonation on the E string went missing. I took it to a luthier and he said he couldn't find anything for it. I'm wondering if anybody knows where I could get one, it's becoming a problem and I love this bass too much to have it have a problem like this. Thanks for any help

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Have you tried contacting G&L?

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Local hardware store, small machine screws. Take the saddle with you. It might be metric.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    When you say "intonation" do you mean the long screw that moves the saddle back and forth? Or are you talking about the little tiny ones that raise and lower the saddle?

5. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Cape Cod
    I've bought both at my local Ace Hardware within the last 2 months. The intonation screw (phillips head) may not be available long enough for the G string (depending on the neck), so you may have to swap it with the E string. The set screws (the "little tiny ones"- hex head set screws) are only available a little longer than stock G&L, but will work. If I knew the thread sizes off hand I would tell you, but I'm not at home right now. I want to say 10-32 and 5-64, but don't quote me. I do know that they are standard thread, not fine SAE or metric. Those saddles are aluminum, so be careful not to strip the threads when trying steel screws.

6. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Cape Cod
    Okay, just got home. The saddle height adjustment screws are 4-40 coarse thread socket set screws (stainless). Stock G&L's are 1/4 inch, but the shortest ones I found were 5/16, which shouldn't matter unless they have to be set ridiculously low. The saddle adjustment for intonation is a 6-32 coarse thread phillips head machine screw (stainless). I bought this in a one inch length because the stock screw was bottoming out in the blind hole on the B string saddle on my 2500 before proper intonation was reached. Stock length would be something like 1 3/16. These are stock items at Ace or any decent hardware store, and cost 20-30 cents apiece. If you don't regularly haunt the hardware section hunting down parts like I do, ask for help. You also might want to think about putting a spring on it- it sounds like it was missing one, which would explain it falling out. Good luck!