G&L L2000 Comments

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metron, Apr 30, 2004.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hi everyone! Im thinking about getting a G&L L2000 and I would like any kind of general comments about this bass. Right now I have MIA jazz and p basses. Im thinking about selling the jazz for a G&L to use as my main bass. I play mostly fingerstyle but the slap comes out from time to time. I like the huge sound of the G&L over the jazz but how does it work in a mix? Has anyone run across a band situation where the L2000 sound was too much or unusable? Comments about the different neck types would be great too. Thanks!
  2. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I can tell you about the L2500 which is what I have. This bass is the best bass I've ever owned. You have a variety of tone options by using the various switches (P/U, Series/Parallel, Preamp+treble boost/Preamp/passive). The guitar works well in any style of music you need to play. I've played the L2000 and as far as the neck on the guitar that I played, I can compare it to being pretty similar to my Stingray 4 neck. This guitar will not disappoint you in any way, shape or form.
  3. I don't own a G&L , but tested one recently, I was really curious.
    Well, the basses are just lean, mean, funking machines :hyper: But they're not as versatile as Stingrays (in my opinion). I couldn't get a good metal sound out of the G&L, but my stingray sounds very good for metal (and any other style of music).
    I'd say, if you'ren ot planing to play metal, get one, they're really great basses.
  4. I've got a 98 L2000 with a #6 neck. It's my main gig bass. It's solid as any other bass, even with the 3 bolt neck- which is a brilliant idea, Fender did it wrong in the initial production- hurt the credibility of the idea...

Plays like a dream.

The finish is holding surprisingly well considering I wear jeans often enough it should have spectacular rivet rash.

The ONLY thing I can complain about is that it has a certain high output, bright, "sterile" quality which makes it so great live, that doesn't translate well (for me) on record. The Jazz gets all the recording dates, but doesn't go to as many gigs anymore.

FWIW: I personally feel that the G&L is a lot more versatile than the Stingray, while the Stingray can do it's own great take on a Jazz Bass impresion, that's what it does. The G&L has it's own take on a Jazz impression, as well as a P impression and much more. The Stingrays I'm familiar with all have that pingy scooped sound, which is present in an L2K, but there's other sounds as well... Besides that, try to get a 1.5" nut width on a Stingray...
  5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    agree with this assessment....I too have a 2500. rock solid bass. incredible tone variations. I'm in a 3-piece rock/folk rock group and it cuts through as much or as little as I want it to, with just a flip of a toggle switch. And if I need anymore tone than what it can offer a little more "drive" on the ole Sansamp can fix that. Not sure if you're looking at used ones, but it might be worth it cause they're very affordable on the used market.
    good luck!
  6. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The #6 neck is the thick jazz profile neck right? Hmmm not great for recording... what kind of DI do you use in the studio?
  7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks! Im going to buy new. Theres a dealer around the corner from where I work. I want to order one to my specs! :cool:
  8. Have two.....

They are excellent IMO, great variation of tone can be achieved and it cuts through the mix very well.

I have recorded with it and it sounded great, I used passive mode.

When you order it let us know what you went with option wise, also a pix or two would be great when it shows up ! :p
  9. The #6 neck is really similar to my 65 Jazz... Make sure you get the "gun oil tint" instead of the "satin" finish on the neck, it has more of a "lacquer" quality to it.

As far as recording, I prefer to mic the 15s, I couldn't tell you what kind of fancy pants mics have been used! When I have gone direct, it's the studio's equipment, I choose not to go direct and the engineers (with one exception) agreed with me.
  10. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Of course... its mandatory! What do you jazz bass players think about replacing my MIA jazz with the L2000? Would you do the same?
  11. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Why dont you like the satin finish? Is that like a Stingray neck?

I always go direct. Now Im wondering how it will sit in a recorded mix with my Countryman DI.
  12. My only issue with the 'satin' finish neck is that I prefer the feel of lacquer. What do you have on your MIA Jazz?

Keep in mind our ideas of tone may be completely different from each others, my idea of "sterile" may very well be your idea of "perfect" try one out in the store thru one of their DI setups.
  13. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I think the MIAs have a satin neck finish. I like it a lot so I may go with satin. Would you say the gun oil tint is like an old Fender neck - heavy shiny lacquer?

I think Im going to take my Raven Labs PHA to the store and play along with some cds. Its an amazing way to see how a bass sits in a mix.
  14. I dig the shiny lacquer and tinted maple look!

Does your DI have a pad? Those pickups have a mighty high output- even with the active preamp turned off. That's what makes it such a great live bass.
  15. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I love G&Ls, particularly with a #6 neck. I've had a lot of them over the last several years (L2Ks, L1.5Ks, SB-2s and Climax basses). Right now I have a Climax bass as my only G&L (it's like the L-1500: single HB in the "Stingray sweetspot", active/passive but with a #6 neck and slightly different body shape/detail).

I have 2 beefs with the L2K:

#1 (and most critical for me, personally) is that I find it very difficult to get an acceptable balance from low-to-high on it in a live situation. I prefer the series sound (part of the problem as that accentuates the lows quite a bit and smooths out the highs) in active mode. It's very easy to end up with a great, growly sound on the EAD strings and have the G string just completely get lost in the guitars. A lot of tweaking of the adjustable pole pieces could get me close but in the end I always end up selling off the L2K because I want it to be simpler to get the sound that works for me. And this is really a G&L MFD HB beef for me - I'm looking for an SB-2 to replace the Climax because I just get fed up with it.

#2 the pickup switch selector is somewhat limiting. On 2-pickup basses I usually like a blend with the neck pickup favored and with the L2K you can't get blends.

But overall the construction is great, the sounds are great (if you like a vintage-ey, growly kind of sound) and they are a good value. A lot of people love 'em so give it a try. An L2K is one of the few basses I've had that always sounded good to me through the PHA-1.
  16. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    No pad on the Countryman.... I guess I must be a satin finish guy! :)
  17. I have an 1997 L2000 and love it. it gets a real good amount of different tones and is a joy to play. I have a Swamp ash body and sunburst finish which shows off the grain really nicely. I'd always say to play one first but if you like the fender/music man style basses this has all the best qualities of those two and then some.

my only thing right now is that I am pretty much playing 5 strings most of the time these days so it is not seeing as much use as it should. which makes me consider selling it and buying a L2500.
  18. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The #6 neck seems to be very popular. I think the one at the store near me has a standard neck (flat and wide). Your second point I can deal with pretty well. Ive tried the switch positions and I like them all. On my jazz bass its always all or nothing so I dont use any kind of blend. The first point is a concern though. I prefer the series sound too. Does it really let the highs get lost? I guess Ill play some obnoxious chromatic scales to see if I can perceive a difference in volume across the strings. Thanks for all the comments people. Keep em comin...
  19. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yeah Ive played one at the store I want to order one from. Its the reason Im considering it... they are such great basses!
  20. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am a huge L2000 fan but I did find that my old Jazz was better for some old school rock gigs where the L2000 was just a bit too bold. But I think that I could have learned how to EQ it for that gig if I had been a little more patient.