Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L L2000 Discussion Page!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Cutrer, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I have had three of these basses and dont know what took me so long to figure out that the L2000 is MY BASS. Now I have owned every type of vintage Fender to Pedulla to Modulus ect. and these basses are just where it is at for me. I also dig my Stingray 5, but the L2000 is a keeper. I had a 94 swampash/maple board L2000 back in 94 and was kinda influenced by the older guys in my band to use my 70's Jazz and got rid of it before I really knew how to use it. My second one is a 91 fretless that I traded Brian Gingrich for and foolishly traded away a few months later. Then I got a fretless ASAT Bass a few months ago and put roundwound strings on it and started flippin switches and could not believe the vass amount of great sounds I could get from it. Well I did not dig the ASAT body but was in love with the bass so much that I traded it to get my 91 L2000 back. I have put some Nickel Rounds on it and it is with out a doubt the best sounding and most versatile bass I have ever owned(and I have owned alot).

My question is for you fretted L2000 owners. Do you feel that the fretted L2000 is extreemly versatile. And does it it have the rich warm sound that my fretless has. If anyone owns a fretted and a fretless and could compare, it would be most aprreciated!

scott

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think my L2000E is the most versatile bass I have. It's Ash with a Maple neck. I'm trying "not" to check out a fretless G&L, I already have two other fretlesses.

3. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Wow, that is saying a lot coming from you Brad, given the firepower in your arsenal! Surine and a Zon!!! Man!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm just another hump with a credit card and understanding wife, Scott.

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hey Scott,

I had a fretted 2000 L2000 with alder body and rosewood neck. It was the most sonically versatile bass I've ever had (basses I'd had before it included a Stingray, a Fender Am Deluxe P, a Carvin B4 w/bridge humbucker). It is my favorite sounding fretted bass I've played so far (unfortunately I haven't played any boutique basses so I can't compare to those). I felt that while the pickups and controls let you sculpt the sound to your preferences there was a certain warm, growly character to all the choices (I never rolled the highs off much). I did think that the series position had so much bass that I needed to cut the bass quite a bit and I grew to like the series settings quite a bit for a more even (string-to-string) sound. All in all my favorite sounding bass (so far).

Now I did say "had". I traded it to another TB member for a Stingray. I have determined that I am a B neck (1-5/8" nut) guy and G&L doesn't make a B neck. My loss. If the 'Ray (and MTD Beast coming soon) don't satisfy me tonally then I'm going to look into putting a Moses B neck on a L2000 (I was afraid of doing that to my "main" bass in case I didn't like what a graphite neck did to the L2000 sound).

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to play a fretless G&L. I can say however that the fretted version is the most versatile bass I own.

My G&L fills in the spaces left open by my other basses, it can cop so many sounds.

7. I have an ASAT, can I play too? :)

I *could* easily sell my other fretted basses and just keep the ASAT, but of course I'm not about to do that.

Definitely my #1 for the forseeable future.

8. I wanted to ask an experienced user how they feel. Do they feel more similar to a MM Sterling or a Fender Jazz? I like to dig in hard and the Fender Jazz allows me to do this more so than the Sterling. With Fender, I can rake the strings (from G to E) pretty hard and there is enough resistance from the bass, but with the Sterling, I have to play a little softer. I just moved to Houston and I don't know any stores that carry them. Otherwise I would go out and try one again.

9. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    romiso, of course ASAT'S are welcome too, they are the same bass. It was my ASAT that made me fall in love with G&L's, just could not get the body thing to happen for me, I think I am too round for it.

alexssandro,

Great question, I think the G&L is very very much just like a Jazz. i am a Jazz player from way back and feel very at home on a Jazz bass and did not miss a beat switching to the L2000. it was the most comfortabltransition. Also, i know what you mean about the MM's. I have to use a much lighter touch on my Stingray 5 than on my L2000. I like the ability to dig in on the L2000/Jazz type basses because that is where I get my articulation from and I am never really able to truly dig in on my Stingray. I don't know if it needs a better set up or what. Just a little too clacky sometimes. Of course my L2000 is fretless so no clackin there but great feel and tone for sure.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Agreed. I play praise and worship music. We go from a pop sound, to Gospel, to rock, jazz and back again in one set. Thanks to my G&L L-2500 (and a Bass POD pro) I can get any sound I want for any particular type of song. I have a bunch of basses. This one is the best I have every been fortunate enough to run across. Although I admit, I have never experienced long term use of top dollar stuff. (>$1,500)

Chas

11. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Regarding the ASAT bass. I have one and love it. It is basically a L2000 except it has a jazz neck rather than a P neck and of course its shaped like a Tele (love it or hate it). I almost didn't buy this bass because though I dug the idea of having a Tele shaped bass (I own a couple of Telecasters) I thought the ASAT would look kind of dinky as i'm 6'4". Well, I'm glad that didn't keep me from buying it (just before the prices jumped, too!). I love this ax. I've owned several Jazz basses and one P over the years and the ASAT smokes them. Its like a Jazz on steroids.

BTW, I've checked out the MM Serling and though I'm sure its an excellent bass, the one I played badly needed a set up and felt and played like crap! I don't blame the Serling though, its clear that MM makes some great basses and guitars. I will say this much for that Sterling, it sure had one purdy birdseye maple neck. But for buck and versitility, however, my money is on G&L!!!

Ron

12. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I would say it is the L-2000 is hands down the best
    production 4 string bass out their for the moneyI picked my 99 L-2000 for $625 slightly used with a
    birdseye neck and the nicest tabacco sunburst finish with a dark cherry back instead of the black
    backs if seen . It plays like butter

13. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Hey Harpo, I agree with that. I think the L 2000?2500/Asat series G&L basses are real players. Amazingly they are going real cheap used right now. Good time to pick em up. I am hopefully getting a fretted L 2000 here soon and looking forward to posting about it. I gues this is where all the G&L players hang out. I cant get any responses on other bass pages. Not even much bass talk on the Guitars By Leo page. I guess Talk Bass is the home of the G&L fans.

14. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    yea I played a GL-2000 myself and fell in love withit to :)

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I can't stand it!!!
    I have a trade in the works for a....
    No I better not say it I might Jinx it.
    Let's just say I'm 99% sure that in about a week I will once again be a proud owner of a bass similar to one I traded away and have regretted it for about 6 or 7 years.

Hee Hee

16. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Hey, we have started a new G&L bass forum, check it out if you can. Besides all the talk bassers, there is very little G&L action on the web, time for a change!

http://pub41.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm44

17. All I can say is if only I had the money.

18. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    P&D, dude, now is the time to buy a used G&L, you can get a fairly new G&L bass, used for $500 and under. There are some good deals on the web classifieds and on the bay.

19. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  20. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Congrats cb!

I've never played an ASAT, let us know how you make out.