G&L L2000 Frettless, anybody ever own one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Cutrer, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I had a new L2000 some years ago, and really liked it a bunch. I traded for a used frettless version today and am wondering if anyone ever had or played frettless L2000, and what kind of tonal pos. I might expect. I know its ash w/ a rosewood board, but just wanderin what those big PUP configs will offer for mmmwwwaaahhhh effect. This forum seems to be G&L friendly and knowledable. Thanks and be blessed
  2. asherd

Jan 7, 2001
    I have an L2000 fretless. The best way to get the mwah sound is to use the neck or bridge pickup separately. You'll also get more of this effect with the phase switch in series mode (to the right).
  3. asherd

Jan 7, 2001
    While I'm at it, I have a substantial preamp clipping problem on my L2000 fretless. Whenever I select one pickup and play agressively over it (in active mode), I get this nasty clipping sound. Turning down some of the controls helps some, but the problem never completely goes away. Either way, any bass should sound good with its controls all the way up, and most do. I know it's not the battery, and I know it's not the amp (it still does it with the -15db swich on with the gain nearly all the way down). I've played other L2000's that seem to have this problem and I'm surprised that nobody's really complained about it. Any opinions? Just for the record, my truss rod nut is also stripped, making my neck non-adjustable. I know that most L2000's sound and play great, but for me, owning one has been a nearly disasterous experience.